The 100 Greatest Stand-Ups (Channel 4)

It is probably time for Channel 4 to update the list.

Do you think that there would be significant differences today?

Here is the article on the British Comedy Guide website to the 2007 list:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/100_greatest_stand_ups/episodes/1/1/

If I was a pro, I'd rather not be in at all than be number 100. If you weren't in, you could say you weren't well-known enough or people didn't 'get' you. Imagine if people thought of you and then came up with 99 people they considered better. This is stand-up, which is still quite a niche, not like 100 best lawyers or accountants...

That's a good point.

Don't see the point of lists. So what.

I bet seasoned stand ups won't like that Ricky Gervais is so high in the list, considering he only did stand up about three times or something!

I never bother with these things (top stand-ups, top Beatle trax, top shitcoms etc) cos they're totally subjective and you're bound to disagree with something. Let's be honest, you couldn't even make up your own list, and even if you could, you'd change it the next day.

Funny old list.
Apart from Ross Noble's mum, I can't see anyone putting him at No. 10

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 9th January 2023, 9:14 AM

I never bother with these things (top stand-ups, top Beatle trax, top shitcoms etc) cos they're totally subjective and you're bound to disagree with something. Let's be honest, you couldn't even make up your own list, and even if you could, you'd change it the next day.

Depends how specific the list is I suppose. I think you'd rank very highly in most people's 'Top 10 Comedy Monkhouses', despite some stiff competition from that 'Bob' fellow. Tell me I'm wrong! 😄

BTW, on a related note, remember the comedy.co.uk awards is on right now (for those who come straight to the forum and don't always look at the main page, so may have forgotten/didn't know): https://www.comedy.co.uk/awards/2022/

Quote: Lazzard @ 9th January 2023, 10:13 AM

Funny old list.
Apart from Ross Noble's mum, I can't see anyone putting him at No. 10

My theory is some of the comedians mentioned in the list had recently been touring or appeared on telly a lot just before people took the poll - so their names were more at the forefront of people's minds when they voted, or something shit like that.

Nothing wrong with Ross Noble though IMO, it's just that seeing him so far ahead of someone like Tommy Cooper does seem a bit of a rum do if it's 'best of all time'!

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 9th January 2023, 9:14 AM

Especially with stand up humour that has many different flavours so comes down to personal taste and mood and no amount of scoring can be a true reflection. What would work better are smaller lists focussing on style and with a transparent criteria.

F**king Hell, someone agrees with me on something. Better lower my standards.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 12th January 2023, 8:49 AM

Better lower my standards.

I'd buy that for a dollar.