The Guard

Though Folk on 'ere might be interested in this highly rated fillum (94% Rotten Tomatoes, 7.3/10 on IMDb) it's currently on Netflix and address a lot of the issues we discuss. Some really well thought out characters.

That it has Brendan Gleeson in it is enough for me to watch it.
He always does 'deadpan perfectly.

Agreed. He was excellent in this Stephen.

The Guard is indeed a very good film. Recommended.
The same director, John Michael McDonagh,, also directed Cavalry which also stars Gleeson. That's good too but while there is humour, it's much darker in tone (And The Guard, though very funny, isn't exactly always light to start with!).
The director's brother, Martin McDonagh, also directed Gleeson in In Bruges, which as I expect many of you know, is another must-see. Martin also directed the excellent but Gleeson-free Seven Psychopaths and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.
Basically, both the McDonagh brothers and Brendan Gleeson, are great. Gleeson's even good in Smurfs 2.

Not a bad slate of work that.
In Bruges is never out of my Top 5 'comedy' films.

If you haven't seen it, it's worth checking out Martin McDonagh's short film Six Shooter, also starring Brendan Gleeson. Like his other stuff, very dark and funny.

I loved Bruges too. Brenden and Colin Farrell played fabulously off each other.
And the psycho boss could have been Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast - same voice and attitude.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 11th August 2022, 12:25 PM

I loved Bruges too. Brenden and Colin Farrell played fabulously off each other.
And the psycho boss could have been Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast - same voice and attitude.

It's true. He must have modelled it on the earlier performance.

I like the racist dwarf.