Channel 4 at 25

With Channel 4 currently celebrating it's quarter century, I wonder what other members favourite C4 shows are of the last twenty-five years? Aside from Father Ted and Peep Show, my fondest memories are of The Last Resort With Jonathan Ross, After Dark, GBH and Eurotrash... Unfortunately, C4's best years seem to be behind them, with the channel now being largely bereft of fresh comedy and drama ideas.

Would I be right in thinking Channel 4 brought us Cheers and Frasier?

They imported Frasier and Cheers yes.

This thanksgiving I am thankful for... Spaced, Father Ted, Black Books, Whose Line, IT Crowd, TFI Friday, Big Breakfast, Sugar Rush, Vidz, Gamesmaster, Eurotrash and many more I'm sure.

Imports... Frasier, Cheers, Friends, Oz, Lost, NYPD Blue, The Simpsons, King of the Hill and many more.

Kabaddi. Not comedy, but bloody great to watch. And I missed the special on it!

Quote: Leevil @ October 31, 2007, 12:40 PM

They imported Frasier and Cheers yes.

I'm pretty sure that they were on satellite first.

Anyway, I can't really think of any C4 shows which really stand out for me.

No... Wait... Drop the Dead Donkey! Bromwell High! It's all coming back to me now!

(Ahem)

Quote: Jason Kindred @ November 1, 2007, 1:35 PM

Two shows stick in my mind - the one where he completely demolished the odious Jeffrey Archer, and the one where Peter Cook played four different characters. Usually I hate it when comedians play "characters" in interviews - it's painful - but this was genius. In fact, I think it's a great shame that Clive Anderson's TV career dried up, because I was always a huge fan and enjoyed the way he made mincemeat out of people (anybody who calls the Beegees tossers to their face gets my vote).

I was too young to see the Cook episode first time round but, thankfully, it's all there on youtube and it truly is great. Along with Why Bother? that programme proved that his talents had not deserted him.

"I've just got out of the Henry Ford clinic. They make you build a car."

They did have some bloody good programmes but now there is some real crap.

Something they showed the other day which I remembered looking forward to each week was Secret Cabaret.

There was a magician/illusionist called Simon Drake plus they show how old illusions were done and also have people sticking pins in themselves eating glass etc. Great stuff - oh and lots of leather.

The Adam & Joe Show
The Word(something I'd hate now I bet)
Bits
Bob & Margret
So Graham Norton (weekly version)

Queer as Folk.

'Queer As Folk' - one of the good Brian Potter lines in Phoenix Nights - Series 2 on the 'Crimetime' episoede. Brian Potter (to floor manager)on his acting experience "Queer as Folk, I played one of the folk".

Channel 4 seems to have lost interest in originating new comedy talent (and indeed general talent). They seem happy to hang on the mother's apron of others, let them do the donkey-work. I'm sure it's a good business plan. But the Beeb will (I hope) still put artistic value in backing original comedy. Independent prod. companies are the future for getting shows made, but the Beeb will still (please) be the ones with the money.

I really worry about the whole future of new comedy when the BBC are in this much cost-cutting trouble. I just hope our T.V. doesn't become like the worst of American T.V.

Channel 4 is a public service broadcaster. Imagine how much they could spend on original British shows if they weren't spending their money on American imports, most of which aren't very good.