Hat Trick Comp

My script went the same way as my horses at Cheltenham, shot by a vet.
It looked like big entry so the winner done really well to get noticed so its clearly a strong script and congratulations are in order.

Yeah many congrats to the winner and everyone who got shortlisted, great going. My entry came nowhere.........but there's always next time.

Remember: Each rejection is just one step closer. To the next rejection.

Quote: GAP1 @ 17th March 2022, 10:15 PM

Yeah many congrats to the winner and everyone who got shortlisted, great going. My entry came nowhere.........but there's always next time.

The trouble with these comps is you just don't know where it came, if it got a second read then that's some sort of result but you don't get told. Unless you were in the 1% of all entries short listed in this comp, you are none the wiser about how close you came or how good your entry was, but then it was free entry so you can't expect too much else.

There are two major script comps open (one opens on 7th April) with an entry fee that do give you feedback after the event, but from my experience still don't tell you how close or far away it came to being picked. The plus side has to be each comp entry forces you to finish a script, which is useful practical experience itself, and you can then judge afterwards what may need tweaking to work better.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 27th March 2022, 9:36 AM

The trouble with these comps is you just don't know where it came... but then it was free entry so you can't expect too much else.

Wouldn't take much to give it a mark out of ten, would it? That would give some idea at least.

There are two major script comps open (one opens on 7th April) with an entry fee that do give you feedback after the event, but from my experience still don't tell you how close or far away it came to being picked.

Essentially, most of these are simply selling feedback - the competition is a by-product.

The plus side has to be each comp entry forces you to finish a script, which is useful practical experience itself, and you can then judge afterwards what may need tweaking to work better.

By far and away the biggest - possibly only - benefit of entering. The more you write the better you get.

Quote: Lazzard @ 27th March 2022, 11:52 AM

WOULDN'T TAKE MUCH TO GIVE A MARK OUT OF TEN

Or 'Got second read/Did not get second read.' (or similar) I agree they could put something with minimal effort down. A mark out of ten I think could take too much analysis of scripts that were nowhere up to it, but maybe they could do it for the entries that got to the final sift but just missed out, wouldn't be that many to put a short comment on. (Or maybe they did and it wasn't us). Think I might email PRO and ask if they can pass this on to the Exclusive to Pro comps.

MOST ARE SELLING FEEDBACK

To a degree, and some more than others but if the by-product is a genuine chance to get optioned, mentored or whatever they offer then so be it, very few things are free, including some of the 'free' comps, as you pay subscription to qualify for entry. And although it's possibly more down to sales economics, £45/£50 for an appraisal, admittedly for shorter scripts of 10 and 15 mins, compares very favourably with the £170 you can pay for a full 30min script assessment and advice (with follow up zoom call). Both the ones I've received from Rocliffe and the erstwhile Sitcom Mission have been a very decent three pages of feedback.