Carry On Dick

Watched this tonight, from my box-set and was disappointed. All the crew were there (except CH) and it was sadly Sid's last Carry On, which I think is a shame that it had to end with such a pedestrian and laboured film with some jokes that were scratched on the back of the tablets that Moses brought down from the mountain.

I've nothing more to say abart (sic) it, really............Oh, apart from I was surprised there was no thread.

Could have been a much funnier romp if it came earlier in the series. It's been said already that Dick, Behind, Emmanuelle and England were more influenced by the raunchier films at the cinema and the Confessions movies. It turned their once innocent innuendo into cruder smut. But at least half of the demise was the ageing cast and the sense that some were looking tired of doing the films (most notably KW and HJ).

And imo they missed the energy Jim Dale brought to the screen, and looked a bit splintered bringing in several 'replacements' such as Jack Douglas, Kenneth Cope and Terry Scott, as good as they were in the roles. The only one I like from this later period (post Abroad) is C O Behind, but it does have a deathly airiness about it with most of the regulars missing.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 27th February 2022, 9:06 AM

Could have been a much funnier romp if it came earlier in the series.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. I did read in the trivia notes that Talbot Rothwell (screenplay) was struggling with over-work and trying to find something different to keep the comedy fresh, and was advised to give it up - he died a few years later after this film, and I wonder if it was what finished him off.

It has been said that he ultimately died from exhaustion.

It all looked so tired - film and actors