Bob Martin

Who remembers this short lived sitcom from 2000? It starred Keith Allen and Michael Barrymore and I remember it being very funny. Unfortunately there was only one series made and I put this down to Barrymore's troubles. If anyone knows how to get a hold of this series, then please let me know!

Sorry -if it involved Keith Allen then I wouldn't have the f**king remotest interest

I just found the VHS release of it on Amazon fairly cheap, so its on its way!

Quote: David Chapman @ October 28, 2007, 12:05 AM

Sorry -if it involved Keith Allen then I wouldn't have the f**king remotest interest

Ditto!!! And Barrymore too, Awight? No!

No! No! Seriously, it's much better than it sounds on paper!

Was it one of those ITV1 drama comedys, I think I remember it?

But really, Kieth Allen makes my skin crawl and don't even get me started on his daughter, the opinionated little whore - he hypocritically writes on a discussion forum :P

Yeah it was a comedy drama thing.

Quote: Leevil @ October 28, 2007, 2:29 PM

But really, Kieth Allen makes my skin crawl and don't even get me started on his daughter, the opinionated little whore

Lol! I'm not a huge fan of hers, but she's far more tolerable than certain contemporaries.

I thought they made two series?

It wasn't a million miles away from The Larry Sanders Show in terms of concept - although obviously nowhere near as good. Barrymore was a lot better than you would have expected though, and it was way above average for an ITV sitcom if I recall correctly.

And didn't Bob Mills have something to do with creating or writing it? (Having previously ripped off Larry Sanders for his 'real' chat show!)

Quote: Winterlight @ October 28, 2007, 1:32 PM

No! No! Seriously, it's much better than it sounds on paper!

How would it sound on paper?

Bob Mills was indeed the main writer on this show.

It was a shameless rip-off of 'Larry Sanders', but then so was 'Annually Retentive With Rob Brydon', which was even moreso.

Barrymore was very good at playing it straight (no double-meaning intended, I meant comically.)

I remember it as a decent comedy on ITV, who would have only taken that 'risk' on prime-time when it had proved successful in the US. It wasn't the worst comedy in the world, and I don't believe Bob Mills is probably the bad guy.

Anyone know where he is now, by-the-way?

Never diss the Mills!!

I'm gay for the Mills

:D

Who - Heather?

*shudder*

That's just wrong.

My VHS set of this arrived the other day and it's pretty good in my opinion. I laughed out loud quite a few times.

I've never seen any Larry David, so I don't know whether its a shameless rip off or not. However, I know that Larry David was an influence on Ricky Gervais and several times, whilst watching Bob Martin, I kept thinking "This reminds me of Extras so much".