Forces' Sweetheart (1953)

Was this a homage to Vera Lynn? Even though she didn't appear in it whatsoever - seems odd to put it on just after she had died.

Whatever, the 1¼ hours seemed more like 2¼ as it dragged on with not just puns, but very, very poor puns and with the likes of Harry Secombe, Michael Bentine, Freddy Frinton and Graham Stark in it, this should have been at least mildly funny, not downright crap.

And I couldn't believe it when Harry and Bentine had to pretend to be plumbers and there was Bentine with this large rubber plunger in his hand, and I thought "NO! Surely he's not going to do his awful rubber plunger stage act" - he did. Words fail me.
If I'd have been Very Lynn when this was released I would have sued them for degrading a trade mark. ;)

Utter rubbish.

But we were easily pleased in those days.I think Harry 's stage act was having a shave ???

Granted, but there were some very funny films about in the 1950s, and yes, that was Harry's only comedy stage act and something which Peter Sellers sarcastically referred to often in The Goon Show .

That's true Will Hay was in the 30/40's.