Last Of The Summer Wine stage show.

George Franklin

• Sunday 7th June 2020, 10:31am
  • United Kingdom
  • 7 posts

Back in the 1980's Last Of The Summer Wine toured with a stage show called "Compo Plays Cupid."

Does anyone know where I could get a copy of the stage play - just for personal use to read?

Had no luck in trying to track this down but it definitely toured because I saw it in Liverpool. Great Roy Clarke writing - of course.

Any ideas??

Michael Monkhouse

• Sunday 7th June 2020, 10:56am
  • Eternal City, Italy
  • 5,366 posts

That show definitely needed more doing to it. It just didn't go on long enough.

john tregorran

• Sunday 7th June 2020, 9:49pm
  • mornington,victoria, Australia
  • 1,459 posts

Hooray!Someone else saw it too.I thought I'd imagined it.All the main characters except for Foggy Dewhurst,I think.

George Franklin

• Monday 8th June 2020, 9:55am
  • United Kingdom
  • 7 posts

No - you didn't imagine it! Like I said, we saw it in Liverpool at the Empire Theatre. I believe Foggy wasn't in it due to actor Brian Wilde not wanting to work with Bill Owen. Didn't they refer to him as being "upstairs" or something? Mentioned but not seen.
I think I have to rate Roy Clarke as one of our greatest comedy writers. Hope the copy of the stage play turns up .... but I'm not holding my breath.

Michael Monkhouse

• Monday 8th June 2020, 12:28pm [Edited]
  • Eternal City, Italy
  • 5,366 posts

Roy Clarke was quantity over quality. Too nice 'n' cosy ' n' twee for me.
Stage shows are rarely a success. The Hitch-hikers'Guide play is considerered its worst incarnation - not bad considering So Long and etc - and the first French and Saunders tour vid didn't make me laugh once. A ''''friend'''' said he saw Allo Allo live and It was fairly gruesome.

George Franklin

• Monday 8th June 2020, 12:52pm
  • United Kingdom
  • 7 posts

Yes ... stage shows can be a bit of downer. Although Compo Plays Cupid I found funny. Twee .... cosy ... but great for an old fart like me. I must have already been one back in those days. I'm always amazed with Roy Clarke's work ethic. Quantity over quality? Sometimes. But you can't deny when he gets it right he gets it right. I tend to notice this more when I read his scripts. I find his books very funny too. Well worth a read.

Michael Monkhouse

• Monday 8th June 2020, 1:37pm
  • Eternal City, Italy
  • 5,366 posts

F**king hell, someone agrees with me about something. That's three more than usual.
I f**king hate Allo Allo on telly too.

john tregorran

• Monday 8th June 2020, 8:48pm [Edited]
  • mornington,victoria, Australia
  • 1,459 posts

And you were going so well too,it had to happen some time.Bad luck!