Francis L. Sullivan

I love English WWII propaganda films and even now I can still see their worth on the morale front. Obviously someone had to play the baddie and as this guy was a ringer for Herr Goering he was it.
So while the scripts are crap and the scenery and props are no better you understand why and forgive it ,even respect it as some of these were made in our darkest hours.
But having just watched The Day Will Dawn in a 'Matinee skiving session' I have to take my hat off to this man as even now if I saw him in the street I would pick a brick up and shout 'He's one of the bastards' That's how good he is as a baddy and I wouldn't be shocked to hear he got a few cracks in real life as he really did epitomise them so well.

Gang of Quislings the lot of you.

I'd love to contribute but I haven't seen many propaganda films of any kind. The only one I Ihave watched is the anti drug propaganda film Reefer Madness, which was very funny.

Still its nice to see a bit of input Chip and I haven't seen Reefer Madness myself but I doubt it would work on me as I have been smoking pot since I was 16.
I'd like to say that its done me no harm but I can imagine the eye rolls by those that read posts like they're at their curtains watching but never twitching and giving the game away :P

On the WW2 front I would like to see Triumph of the Will, the famous Nazi propaganda film.

Leni Riefenstahl was an amazing director and along with Speer they stylised a gang of thuggish mass murderers. So while the torch light parades are a spectacle in some ways , they are also chilling. I personally would have liked to see her hang for what she enabled.

I had to look him up and of course I recognized him from Dickens.
He was both Mr Jaggers and Mr Bumble.
I don't remember him from much else though.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 10th July 2019, 10:17 PM

Leni Riefenstahl was an amazing director and along with Speer they stylised a gang of thuggish mass murderers. So while the torch light parades are a spectacle in some ways , they are also chilling. I personally would have liked to see her hang for what she enabled.

I think that's why I'd like to see it, because it was a genuinely talented artist selling their soul and skill to the devil. Whereas I get the impression most propaganda films are hack work.

I think the principle of an artist or writer creating patriotic output to aid morale during war time is a sound one as long as the output is lifting rather than glorifying actions.
But she was different as she and Goebbels sold the Nazi's and actually helped put them in power to do what they did and thats the difference I think.
Same with Speer and most of all Von Braun . He ran the V rockets and had to walk past half dead slave labourers all the time as he spat out orders. He should have been hung, instead the Yanks got him and he lived the life of Reilly working for NASA!

Dictators can sometimes be heavy-handed when it comes to dealing with citizens they'd rather not have around.

Henry VIII of England disposed of around 60,000 but that's only 1% of the number of those bastard Germans disposed of.

Don't you just love the higher moral ground?