Catch 22

Just writing in an advert break.

Started tonight on Channel 4 and it really has got the feel of the book - which I've read at least 3 times - and the film - which again I've seen about 3 times.

Very good!

I don't remember Yossarian being referred to as Yo Yo though.

Quote: Chappers @ 20th June 2019, 9:40 PM

I don't remember Yossarian being referred to as Yo Yo though.

Yes, I remember a few guys calling him "Yo-yo" in the book.

I saw the trailer for the TV series and it did look good.

I'll be watching it very soon.

On my list.

I'd like to and did have it set up on my digi-box, but then couldn't bring myself to devote 6 hours of my life to it.

I don't think I'll bother.I've got the book and read it a few times and probably will again.Seen the Alan Arkin film which was quite good.So....

It's one of the great comic novels and and deserves a great adaptation. I'm not sure this was it. Weirdly, the MASH movie captures the spirit of Heller's novel better.

Quote: chipolata @ 22nd June 2019, 11:46 PM

Weirdly, the MASH movie captures the spirit of Heller's novel better.

I'm not a big reader so I wouldn't know, anything that has more than 300 pages I will never finish. Possibly 250 these days. But both films had that very world weary cynicism and a strikingly similar dark comedy style due to the notorious leaking of film industry confidences which saw many a big blockbuster movie battle to be released first.

Often the first to be commissioned is the last to be released as in this case. They both had competition from Patton, not a comedy but shot with a similar hard hitting realism and anti war tone. The least successful was the first project to start, Catch 22. I always thought it was a bit pretentious tbh, but with great cinematography.

I've always thought of Catch 22 as more antii-military than anti-war.

It's bloody funny!

Quote: Chappers @ 23rd June 2019, 10:02 PM

It's bloody funny!

It is! I also love Heller's Something Happened, in which nothing really happens until the very end.

This is tremendously funny and thought-provoking stuff.

No matter whether or not you've read the book or seen the movie, this series is a must for anybody who understands that human society is fundamentally absurd - and it's even more of a must for anybody who has not yet realised that human society is fundamentally absurd.

And do you know the most absurd thing about this fundamentally absurd society? Almost everybody on earth takes it seriously!

I think that's why comedy was invented. Laughing out loud

Well I wish I could see it. I watched Episode 1 "live" but Episode 2 isn't available on my catch (22) up.

Quote: Chappers @ 2nd July 2019, 10:27 PM

Well I wish I could see it. I watched Episode 1 "live" but Episode 2 isn't available on my catch (22) up.

It's online here: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/catch-22

Thanks Rood.