SCTV

***NOTE*** forgive me if this is in the wrong subforum, but I'm not entirely sure if this forum is exclusively for UK sketch comedy alone. If it is, forgive me and have a mod throw it in the international section.

Okay. Any SCTV fans in here?

SCTV was a Canadian sketch comedy show (and bitter rival for SNL). The original SCTV cast consisted of John Candy, Joe Flaherty, Eugene Levy, Andrea Martin, Catherine O'Hara, Harold Ramis, and Dave Thomas. By far, that cast was the best, as the Martin Short years aren't that great.

What I loved about the show was the overt satire of the real behaviors of celebrities before it was chic; Andrea Martin doing Linda Lavin playing I Loves You Porgy to this day is so gut wrenchingly funny to me, in part because I remember Lavin being an absolute four letter word starting in c and ending in t on her show and firing any actress that had more popularity than her. John Candy's Jack LaLane segments were GOLD.

Of course, Benny Hill Street Blues is my all time fav sendup.

For a minute, this show dominated over SNL, especially after the 1980 season saw the entire cast leave en masse and it was those weird rebuild seasons prior to Eddie Murphy and Joe Piscapo getting on there. Ironically, two SCTVers went over there and washed out in those transition seasons.

If you haven't checked it out, you should; there is a lot of eppys on YouTube. Its a refreshing show that really had no boundaries and were left to do whatever they wanted and it worked. It was also one of the first sketch comedies on American television that had female lead writers.

Cheers!

I really enjoy what I have seen on YouTube and with that cast , how could you go wrong?

Quote: LoopyTheClown @ 17th February 2017, 7:14 AM

I really enjoy what I have seen on YouTube and with that cast , how could you go wrong?

I like the John Candy early years, especially his Jack LaLane skits, but Dave Thomas definitely stepped his game up once Ramis, Candy, and Co.. departed for Hollywood. Honestly, I think Kids in the Hall was a complete rip from them by Lorne Michaels without the punch (even though I like Kids in the Hall too).

Kids in the Hall is a favourite of mine too.

Dave Thomas is great, but for me the star of the whole show has to be John Candy

Quote: LoopyTheClown @ 17th February 2017, 9:37 AM

Dave Thomas is great, but for me the star of the whole show has to be John Candy

Well, to be fair, Candy lost a lot of his punch towards the end of his run. I don't know if it is because he wasn't writing his own material or what, but it just wasn't as funny as it was in the beginning.

I think Ramis/Levy/Candy were the star attractions, and Andrea the standout (see the Linda Lavin sendup) but Dave Thomas really had to carry it after they left.

Quote: LoopyTheClown @ 17th February 2017, 9:37 AM

Well, to be fair, Candy lost a lot of his punch towards the end of his run. I don't know if it is because he wasn't writing his own material or what, but it just wasn't as funny as it was in the beginning.

I think Ramis/Levy/Candy were the star attractions, and Andrea the standout (see the Linda Lavin sendup) but Dave Thomas really had to carry it after they left.