Wogan

Here is a sketch I didn't like enough to put into the skit comp. Thought I would post it in critique anyway.

Terry Wogan is being show around heaven by an angel. Terry notices a pair of magnificent golden gates covered in Jewels.

ANGEL: And this way leads to the celestial gardens. I am sure you will find their beauty surpasses anything you may have seen on earth.

TERRY: That's fine, but what is behind those fabulous gates?

ANGEL: Ah, that is our VIP area. Shall we move on to the celestial...

TERRY: Hold your horses there a moment young fella. Are you a fella by the way?

ANGEL: Not exactly, a bit of both and a lot of neither. Its complicated. (HE STARTS TO LIFT HIS ROBES) Would you like to see?

TERRY: Good grief no. But hang on a minute there mine guide. What is the VIP area?

ANGEL: It's a special area reserved for our more famous residents.

TERRY: Well here I am then. That sounds like just the place I should be.

ANGEL: You have to be famous to get in there.

TERRY: What! But I am famous. I'm Terry Wogan.

(ANGEL LOOKS BLANK)

TERRY: Tel? Sir Terry? Terry's Old Geezers and Gals? Radio 2?

ANGEL: Radio doesn't really count.

TERRY: I was on the Televisual box for years. I was a national treasure!

ANGEL: Ah TV. What program were you on?

TERRY: Well there was 'Wogan' a chat show that had my name in the title.

ANGEL: I don't think I know that show.

TERRY: I did 'Blankety Blank' for a few years.

ANGEL: Oh dear.

TERRY: And I did the hugely popular 'Eurovision Song Contest'.

ANGEL: Oh dear, oh dear.

TERRY: I also had a number one with the 'Floral Dance'.

ANGEL: Good grief! I think we had better head off to the celestial gardens.

TERRY: No wait. For years I presented the BBC's 'Children in need' I helped to raise millions of pounds for children.

ANGEL: You gave millions of pounds to children?

TERRY: Yes, millions.

ANGEL: Like Kids Company?

TERRY: No, we raised millions for children's charities. The programme was watched by millions of viewers of all ages from 65 to 75.

ANGEL: Well that sounds promising. If you wait here I will pop through the gates and see if someone will sign you in.

TERRY: That would be grand. But tell me what is that old man doing there, grasping the gates and staring longingly through them. He looks like he has been there a very long time?

ANGEL: Yes he has been waiting there for someone who promised to sign him in since 2002.

TERRY: Who is he?

ANGEL: God.

TERRY: God?

ANGEL: Yes that Milligan can be a right bastard!

Not in character really.

not the biggest fan, so not a surprise if I didn't nail him.
Thanks for commenting.

Yep, that was my first thought too, not quite hit the Wogan voice. I thought some of the lines were quite decent, though.

Interesting how the "celeb enters heaven" trope has become so well-established in recent years.

Great punchline playfull. I enjoyed it.

I've got an old Wogan sketch knocking around in the Skit Comp I think it was, no votes as I remember, might dig it out!