The Adventures Of Brigadier Wellington-Bull

The Adventures Of Brigadier Wellington-Bull was a short-lived black-and-white British sitcom starring Alexander Gauge and Valerie Singleton. Written by Austin Melford, only one series of five 30-minute episodes was produced.

The Adventures Of Brigadier Wellington-Bull followed the adventures of a retired Army Brigadier, Garnet Wellington-Bull, who is trying to come to terms with civilian life. The other characters were his daughter Jane (played by future Blue Peter presenter Valerie Singleton) and Captain Pilkington, a young officer who used to serve under him.

All wiped, sadly.

Quote: Aaron @ April 24 2013, 1:54 PM BST

All wiped, sadly.

Impressive that the work has been done to establish that fact. No doubt the same has been done in respect of other obscure TV shows.

But thinking outside the box, the BBC put out a request for any tape recorded radio shows in peoples' homes to assist Radio 4 Extra output.

Not sure how it was done. Presumably you do?

Anyway, what I was thinking was that it is just possible some of these very old TV shows were also recorded on audio tape (reel to reel) by members of the public.

Has anyone undertaken the task of seeing what a request for such things might unearth?

Yes, there are many wiped programmes that do survive in partial or complete audio form due to home recordings.

Quote: Aaron @ October 13 2013, 1:06 PM BST

Yes, there are many wiped programmes that do survive in partial or complete audio form due to home recordings.

Including Wellington-Bull?

How can we be sure? Did this info emerge in the BBC 4E exercise?

I've only recently become aware that the BBC put out a request to the public for missing radio shows so many still won't know about it. Certainly older OAPs - the key category needing to be (swiftly) accessed.

And what about programmes on commercial TV?

There could still be buried treasure.

Quote: Horseradish @ October 13 2013, 8:01 PM BST

Including Wellington-Bull?

No, this is missing in its entirety.

How can we be sure? Did this info emerge in the BBC 4E exercise?

I'm not aware of any Radio 4E 'exercise'.

I've only recently become aware that the BBC put out a request to the public for missing radio shows so many still won't know about it. Certainly older OAPs - the key category needing to be (swiftly) accessed.

And what about programmes on commercial TV?

There could still be buried treasure.

There have been quite high-profile repeated drives on-and-off over the past 20 years or so. Missing titles turn up all the time. Sadly no message is going to be able to reach everybody, of course.

Thanks for the response.

I may put a strategy in place. :)