New Zealand bans using government film for satire

In New Zealand, politicans have past laws banning the use of footage in their parliament for the use of satire.

Quote: Press Gazette

The new standing orders, voted in last month, concern the use of images of Parliamentary debates, and make it a contempt of Parliament for broadcasters or anyone else to use footage of the chamber for "satire, ridicule or denigration".

This story was also covered in The Daily Show.

Press Gazette story

Soon they'll ban voting and then talking and then breathing.

Yeah I saw this on The Daily Show the yesterday and, I hate to say this, it smacked of self promotion and glorification. Sort of them trying to stand up for the 'little guy' whos being oppressed by 'the man.' The Daily Show was funny when I first saw it but you can't get away with the same jokes for 10 years running. Change the record.

As for the ban its just stupid. Parliament is meant to be fully open to the public and recordings of it should also be.

Anybody who expects Parliament to be fully open to the people misunderstands the true role of Parliament!

Do you think you've ever been told the truth?

Politicians are like salesmen, the truth is whatever is expedient to get what I want.

P.S. The true role of Parliament is to keep the people in the dark and feed them bullshit! And they do...

Quote: Frankie Rage @ July 29, 2007, 4:28 AM

Anybody who expects Parliament to be fully open to the people misunderstands the true role of Parliament!

Do you think you've ever been told the truth?

Politicians are like salesmen, the truth is whatever is expedient to get what I want.

P.S. The true role of Parliament is to keep the people in the dark and feed them bullshit! And they do...

People died so you could have the freedom to say that, maybe they shouldn't have bothered Laughing out loud

Quote: ajp29 @ July 29, 2007, 7:30 PM

People died so you could have the freedom to say that, maybe they shouldn't have bothered Laughing out loud

People died because a Parliament kept the people in the dark and fed them bullshit... :)