Comedy song and copyright?

i re wrote the lyrics to a popular song about hell. the backing track is not the original. I wanted to upload to YouTube. what advice would you give?

Legally I think you need to get permission from the composer of the backing track. Practically you'll probably be fine and the worst that'll happen is that at some point your video will be taken down. The composer might be happy to give permission so you might as well email them

so I do need permission from the backing track owner! ah. well I found one on this site if that fails. (i have contacted them.)

http://www.guitarvoice.com/BackingTracks/

they say "free backing tracks." does that still mean I need to get permission from this one even if they say free?

the only problem with the original writer is the song is called highway to hell where mine is highway to heaven. I don't think he'd like it! not that it is offensive. it is abit of a parody though so fair use?

You may get away with it if you make it very clear you don't own the original copyright and who really does.

I'm in no way a voice of authority on this subject! But if something says free backing tracks then I would presume they could be freely used. Might be different if you were to make a profit from it though. Does it not say in the website terms and conditions?

Are you referring to the AC/DC song? I imagine their record label is pretty hot on people abusing copyright but the situation will only get worse in future so you may as well stick your video up and hope enough people see it (this is idiot on the internet chat and not legal advice!) :)

The hat is very misleading AJ. It gives the air of authority.

yeah its that song... fair use and parody. mmm... I see alot of guitar players using that tune in guitar reviews and nobody cares. maybe I should do the same and sing it or put the lyrics on screen...

Quote: Rooface @ February 17 2012, 7:30 PM GMT

The hat is very misleading AJ. It gives the air of authority.

Laughing out loud Heed The Bobble

Quote: nazarene artists @ February 17 2012, 7:31 PM GMT

yeah its that song... fair use and parody. mmm... I see alot of guitar players using that tune in guitar reviews and nobody cares. maybe I should do the same and sing it or put the lyrics on screen...

You'll probably be fine. Stick it up and worry if you need to.