New Sketch : Obnoxious Couples

SCENE 1. : INT: MARCUS & DEB’S KITCHEN. 21.35PM. MARCUS AND DEB’S ARE SITTING AT THE DINING ROOM TABLE WITH THEIR FRIENDS ALEX AND NICOLA. THEY HAVE JUST FINISHED A DINNER PARTY .

ALEX:
Think I better hit the Gym tomorrow….. especially after those fritters.

NICOLA:
Me too, that was delicious Debs. How did you get the risotto so perfect and creamy?

DEBS SMILES AND THEN FOLDS HER ARMS.

DEBS:
How did it go with the bank manager yesterday?

NICOLA LOOKS GRAVELY AT ALEX.

ALEX: (KEEPING HIS GAZE ON NICOLA)
Well, we’ve er decided….. that we’re not going to through with the second mortgage.

DEBS:
That’s a surprise.

NICOLA:
Well, it’s just with the IVF and one or two other things this year….. we thought it best that we didn’t commit to a second property.

DEBS:
Yes, but you both turned 30 this year. Thirty years of age and only one property between you.

NICOLA:
But Debs, it’s just the with IVF this year. We really want a baby.

DEBS:
But you’ve only got one property! I mean, what will you say when you meet people. “Oh, hello, we’re the Appletons and we’ve got one property”. I mean, would would they think of you?

MARCUS FINISHES POURING THE COFFEE AND SITS DOWN.

MARCUS:
I’d bloody well get in now….get in while the going is good. Before the whole bloody bottom falls out of the property market.

NICOLA:
But we’re really desperate for a child….aren’t we darling?

ALEX IGNORES HER.

ALEX:
So Marky, how many properties do you guys actually have right now?

MARCUS: (PUFFING OUT HIS CHEST)
Twelve. We got twelve properties.

THERE IS A PAUSE AS THEY NICOLA AND ALEX SIP THEIR COFFEE. DEBS IS STARING AT THEM.

ALEX: (TURNING TO NICOLA)
Maybe we should arrange to see the bank Manager again darling.

NICOLA LOOKS LIKE SHE IS ABOUT TO CRY.

DEBS:
I know you guys want a child but we didn’t get where we are today by beating around the bush. Did we Marky?

MARCUS: (POINTING AT THEM, RED-FACED)
If I were you, I’d go back to that two bit bank manager and I’d bloody well tell him we’re taking out a second mortgage by hook or by crook.

ALEX: (TURNING TO NICOLA)
He has a point darling.

DEBS:
We may be set-up for life now but I can assure it wasn’t easy. I mean, Marky’s Daddy might have bought us the first five or six properties but we had to rent them out and find tenants. It wasn’t easy. We have had to make a lot of sacrifices over the years to get where we are today but it has been worth it, hasn’t it Marky?

MARCUS:
Absolutely darling. Now, who fancies a game of monopoly?

SCENE 2. INT. DEBS AND MARCUS’S BEDROOM. THEY ARE PERPARING TO GO TO BED – NIGHT –23.50PM

DEBS: (FOLDING HER KNICKERS CAREFULLY)
Honestly darling, those two are absolutely pathetic. Humming and hawing about getting their second property.

MARCUS:
Bloody ghastly! A bloody ghastly pair of losers. I tell you darling, I don’t want them darkening the door of our house again. Get rid of them!

DEBS:
Oh, I couldn’t agree more sweetie. I mean, imagine putting IVF before getting another property. How could anybody say a baby is more important than getting a second property? It’s absolutely ludicrous.

MARCUS PUSHES HER ONTO THE BED.

DEBS:
Uhh, stiff already.

MARCUS:
You bloody bet I am! (ENTERING HER). Talk to me Debs.

DEBS:
Tell me how many properties you have!

MARCUS:
Twelve!

DEBS:
How many?

MARCUS:
Twelve!

DEBS:
Louder!

MARCUS:
TWELVE!

DEBS: (GROANING)
And if we get that those cheap Latvian builders in again….

MARCUS: (PANTING)
Yessss?

DEBS:
And if they convert the attic in Addison Road.....

MARCUS: (PANTING LOUDER)
We could let it out for an extra £200 a month!

DEBS: (ORGASMING)
Yes! Oh YES!

MARCUS: (STARING, WILD EYED AT HER)
Now tell me darling. Who’s the man?

DEBS:
YOU ARE! YOU ARE THE MAN!

MARCUS: (EJACULATING)
Yes, I bloody well am.

HE CRAWLS OFF HER.

DEBS:
Gimme a f**king cigarette!

MARCUS TOSSES HER THE BOX FROM THE LOCKER. DEBS SMIRKS AT HIM, THEN SQUINTS AT THE BOX.

DEBS:
Consulate! Since when did you smoke Consulate?

MARCUS:
Oh, they’re not mine. I nicked off the tenants in number 22.

Horrible people, horrible theme ... but actually not a bad bit of writing in my opinion, and quite observant!

Quote: Trevor Carolan @ June 6, 2007, 5:02 PM

DEBS:
We may be set-up for life now but I can assure it wasn’t easy. I mean, Marky’s Daddy might have bought us the first five or six properties but we had to rent them out and find tenants. It wasn’t easy. We have had to make a lot of sacrifices over the years to get where we are today but it has been worth it, hasn’t it Marky?

Perhaps you could call them 'filthy' or 'ghastly' working class tenants. It could help elevate the snobbery even further.

I liked it. At first I thought you could just stop at the Monopoly point - but then it did all work.

Hi,

I felt it was overwritten, dragging on too long towards an unsatisfying climax.

Best wishes

Quote: Alan Alexander @ June 6, 2007, 9:16 PM

Hi,

I felt it was overwritten, dragging on too long towards an unsatisfying climax.

Best wishes

Come on AA. Show us some of your stuff.

Quote: David Chapman @ June 6, 2007, 9:30 PM

Come on AA. Show us some of your stuff.

No.

Quote: Alan Alexander @ June 6, 2007, 9:45 PM

No.

Aaaah g'won, g'won, g'won...........g'won

Quote: Alan Alexander @ June 6, 2007, 9:16 PM

.. towards an unsatisfying climax.

His or hers?

MARCUS:
I’d bloody well get in now….get in while the going is good. Before the whole bloody bottom falls out of the property market.

Marcus' poor advice seems out of character