Green Acres

I don't know if there are many other Green Acres fans on the forum - I really rate the series and I love its surreal humour. Green Acres hasn't really aged much due to the unique style of its humour, although the series only started to go really off the wall in Series 3. Series 5 and 6 have some really bizarre, crazy but hilarious episodes.

Green Acres isn't as well known in the UK and sadly when the BBC showed the series in the late 60s, they only showed certain episodes and I think these were only Series 1 and 2. I saw almost all of the episodes on Sky's Comedy Channel in 1992 when I was 12 and I know the Comedy Channel ran Green Acres at least twice, but apparently the early Sky Channel on cable also showed the series in the late 80s, but it couldn't have had much exposure, even on Sky in 1992.

There is a classic Green Acres episode where Mr Haney sells Lisa Douglas a talking horse, who claims he used to be "Mr. Fred" - note Fred, not Ed!

I used to watch it in the 1960s. It seemed quite funny at the time but it was American and I was about 10 years old. Was it Eva Gabor?

Yes, it was Eva Gabor. She played Lisa Douglas brilliantly, and Lisa's Hungarian accent and mangling of the English language were frequent sources of humour. There is one episode where Lisa starts what she calls a "cosmeteticals" business and other characters start to say "cosmeteticals" instead of "cosmeticals" as well!