If You See God, Tell Him

Does anyone remember this? Reeeeally dark comic drama from 1993, written by David Renwick and Andrew Marshall, and starring Richard Briers, Adrian Edmondson, and Imelda Staunton.

I'm just watching it at the moment, and really enjoying it. The first two (of four) episodes were quite good, with some great lines and scenes, but overwhelmingly dark. The third I've been laughing at all the way through though. Some really, really funny stuff. And brilliant writing, as you may expect from M&R.

Info: http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/i/ifyouseegodtellh_1299001628.shtml

Yes, I acquired that when I was in my Obsessed With Adrian Edmondson phase.

It's great, if a bit depressing now and then.

But in a good way...

Just finished watching the fourth episode. Again, very funny, but also indeed rather depressing at times! One of those nasty open-ended shows too.

Highly recommended watch if anyone can get their hands on a copy though.

What was it about? It wasn't the thing with Richard Briers in a wheelchair was it?

OK - I've just seen your link and see that is that one.

I do remember at the time being taken in by Briers acting that I really expected it to be the last thing he'd do - because he seemed so old and close to death.

Well if you clicked on Aarons link you would see it was.

I've only read about it.

It was very moving I seem to remember.

Yeah. Like Zooo said, actually kind of depressing at times. The closing scene on the final episode, where he's left alone in the prison cell, blissfully unaware of, well, anything, was particularly poignant. So little work on the trial scenes though, and loads of holes left wide open. Pity.

I'm only going by what I remember from - what - 5 years ago?

14 :)

Seems like only yesterday - trouble is I can't remember what happened yesterday.

(It can't seriously be 14 can it?)

1993, so yep, about that!

Got the DVD of this yesterday. Only £6.99 on play.com

I watched it way back in 93 when it originally aired and always remembered it.

Just finished rewatching it and it's pretty good. You can definitely see David Renwick's stamp on it - there's some great dialogue tricks going on and a few shades of 'One Foot In The Grave' frustration.

It's funny how they can make the whole thing seem jolly, for the first 3 episodes at least. There's one scene where some kids are playing football and using a dead duck as the ball, but it doesn't cause any offence. Also, Godfrey Spry (Richard Briers) causes so much havoc for everyone, but he doesn't realise what he's doing and he goes about it with such enthusiasm.

This isn't to say there's not an undercurrent of sadness running through the whole thing, as there is. The man is mentally ill and living in a different world to everyone else. The series ends sadly, but it's well written and gets the point across.

Oh and Adrian Edmondson is good in it.

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/-/55/70/-/5622696/If-You-See-God-Tell-Him/Product.html]
[h=817786]