Gram - My first scripted scene ever

My first scripted scene for a sitcom. It's pretty mcuh based on experiences from my life with a few zany touches. I know its flawed and perhaps I should drop the whole manx cat thing as it doesn't really make much sense, but I just love the Steven Hawking thing it leads into. I also realise that my scripting format is very rough, but I'm new to this and willing to learn! Let me know what you think!

Gram Sitcom

Int Tessa’s Bedroom

Early morning. Bedroom has obviously been decorated by a girl. Purple colours. Cuddly toys scattered about and photos of family and friends. Picture of Keanu Reeves or some other mid to late 90’s hearththrob on the wall.

Gram is in bed on his own and looks peacefully asleep. The door opens with and in walks Tessa. She is getting ready for work. She walks over to the wardrobe and starts clunking hangers about whilst searching for her black jacket. This rouses Gram. He looks up, pulls an annoyed face and then trys getting back to sleep. Tessa walks over to her dresser table and on the way knocks a photo frame off a table. Gram is woken again and this time wraps a pillow around his head. Tessa knocks some more clutter off. Gram is now fully awake and knows he won’t get back to sleep now. He picks up an alarm clock and looks at the time. It reads 6.45. He groans and lies in the bed facing the ceiling.

Gram: (wearily) Ugghh! I just wanna sleep! Its my day off

Tessa: Well sleep then, silly! It’s really not that difficult. You just close your eyes. You always manage to do it straight after we have sex.

Gram sits up quickly.

Gram: Hey, look, I’ve told you before that at least there’s a biological reason for me doing that. My body needs to recuperate. However! I have yet to find any scientific fact why you should fall asleep the minute you sit in my Volkswagen.

Tessa: You’re absolutely mad aren’t you. I am going out with a stark raving nutcase. Why am I even stating the obvious? I knew you were mad the moment we met. Who else would introduce themselves as ‘The Tongue’.

Gram: There’s actually a lot of women back in my home town, who even now, still swoon at the mention of my name and say “Oh, you must mean The Tongue’.

Tessa: Pah. That’s baloney and you know it.

Gram: Well whatever. Back to the original point! Why do you need to be so noisy when getting ready. You barely have to put any make up on, but at that dresser just now you sounded like you were digging up the road.

Tessa: Well, sweetie. Let me give you a little piece of female wisdom. A woman who gets ready for work quietly is as strange as one of those….y’know….those cats with no tails

Gram: A Manx cat? You do know that its down to a naturally occurring spine mutation, don’t you?

Tessa: Yeah! That’s it! A woman who gets ready for work quietly is as strange as a cat with no tail. (laughs to herself)

Gram: My god! So you think that spine mutation is something funny? Sheesh. Wait. It’s all making sense now! The reason you refused to read my copy of Steven Hawking’s Brief History of Time! It’s because you’re prejudiced! You’re prejudiced against disabled people! I knew it! There had to be some chink in your armour! And I’ve penetrated it with my insightful thinking!

Tessa: No, Gram. I’m not prejudiced against the bodily impaired.

Gram: Ha Ha! The bodily impaired! I just can’t keep up with these PC terms! What’ll it be next week? ‘The Genetically Challenged’ or maybe ‘The chromosomally deficient’? I don’t know why it can’t be like the old days when you could say whatever you wanted. You could call a spade a spade and a tool a tool.

Tessa: (Fed up with Grams nonsense) Oh yes! The good old days. The days where you could say whatever you wanted unless of course you were a homosexual and then if you merely said “Hello, my lifelong friends. I enjoy sharing my bed with other men”, you would get the utter crap beat out of you and your life made a misery.

Gram knows he has no comeback and quickly turns the argument back on to his terms:

Gram: Stop changing the subject, Tess. Just explain why you didn’t read the Steven Hawking book.

Tessa: I didn’t read it because you need a degree in theoretical physics to understand that book and I merely have a degree in graphic publishing.

Gram: Well I don’t even have that. I left school at 17 with nothing but a bad case of shingles and I still managed to read it.

Tessa: I admit that you did read it, but you were then off work with a week long migraine.

Gram: Well yeah, that’s true. Even now I can’t look at a quartz watch without reaching for the paracetamol. Anyway, I’m on my days holiday and I wanted to get a decent lie in. I wanna wake up at 10.30 and get that incredible sense of wellbeing that the elderly and the unemployed get.

Tessa: (Matter of factly and to herself) So I take it you’re gonna be ratty all day now

Gram: You know how I get if I don’t get enough sleep on a holiday! I get ratty!

Tessa raises her eyebrows and shakes her head.

Gram: The whole reason I’m off today is so that I can make this Tessa day! When you come home tonight there’s going to be dinner, a film, romance and then if you’re lucky…

Gram lifts up the bed cover and stares down at what is obviously his penis. He looks over at Tessa who is cutting her nails. Gram nods at Tessa, smiles and then looks down at his penis before looking up at Tessa again and smiling with a ‘you know you want it’ look on his face.

Tessa: Eh?!

Tessa stops cutting her nails and looks at the nail scissors, holds them up to her head level and then looks at Gram and makes an exaggerated cutting gesture aimed at his genitals. Gram’s face quickly changes to a state of shock and he quickly drops the covers over his body. He runs his hands through his hair.

Gram: Alright! Alright! Chill out, Tess. Calm down and relax. We don’t want to go getting all hasty, ok?

Tessa: You’re just so selfish though sometimes. I wouldn’t be surprised if this whole Tessa Day isn’t just some big brownie points earner for yourself and nothing to do with my wellbeing.

Gram: Me? Selfish?! I’m going to spend the whole day making sure that everything is perfect for you! There’s no you in selfish.

Tessa: (confused) Does that actually make any sense? (To herself) You in selfish…. There’s no you in selfish.

Gram:Uhhhhhhh, I don’t think it does, but you get the general idea. So, as I said, I’m sacrificing a days holiday to make you feel special. Now, what more could a woman want?

Tessa: Oh I don’t know! How about a boyfriend who takes a days holiday the same time as her???!!!

Few seconds of silence

Gram: (quietly and refusing to admit he’s beat) You know, for a woman as snotty as you, I’m surprised you don’t have more sinus problems.

Tessa: (getting annoyed) Oh shut up. You just know that I’m right and you’re wrong. Couples are supposed to holiday together. Look at Rob and Louise…..

Gram: Oh Rob and Louise! Great example! And where do they always go on holiday?

Tessa: That’s irrelevant.

Gram: No, No. I think its very relevant. They go camping in South Wales, didn’t they? And we all know that the only people who go camping are sex offenders and church goers. (2 seconds silence and then Gram says to himself) I wonder if that’s where they met that priest which married them. Hmmmmmm.

Tessa: Yes it was

Gram: (knowingly) and?

Tessa: and he was there in his capacity as a scoutmaster, but that doesn’t mean anything!

Gram: Well of course it does. It’s a double whammy, coated with fact and proves my theory right.

Tessa: Oh and who’s being prejudiced now? Eh?

Gram: Pah, I’m on holiday! I don’t deserve this! I don’t want to argue right now. Why can’t you just save it for the weekend like you usually do.

Tessa raises her eyebrows at Gram and is now visibly annoyed and Gram knows this.

Gram: Anyway, Anyway! Tonight is going to be very special. First, I’m gonna make you dinner and then we can watch that new Ben Affleck film from the comfort of the front room.

Tessa’s eyes light up.

Tessa: Ben Affleck?!

Tessa swoons.

Tessa: Oh, you must mean The Tongue

Tessa chuckles to herself
Gram: (annoyed) That’s unfunny for so many reasons

Tessa chuckles again and then stops and looks a little confused.

Tessa: but the new Ben Affleck film only came out yesterday…..Oh God, its not going to another one of those dodgy bootlegs off Sumo Pete is it? We’d get more viewing pleasure from contracting conjunctivitis. You remember that Pink Floyd dvd he burnt you? Ha the sound was terrible!

Gram: No no, that was a genuine, digital surround sound copy.

Tessa: (confused) Oh…..

Gram: You’ve got no taste have you *tut tut*, but don’t worry. I swear that this bootleg will be absolutely fantastic. Just like watching the real thing. I’m gonna sort it for you.

ok perfectly honest it really began to get stretched in the middle two people arguing even flirty arguing only can last so long. I liked the characters but it became stale being in the same environment just back and forth between them. Sorry mate, maybe move them to the kitchen half way through to break it up a bit.

Dialogue was nice though but as points above

I haven't read it, but Gavin, what's wrong with continuous dialogue? :P

Hi Winterlight & welcome to the forumWave

I found myself drawn in by the dialogue:D

I could imagine them talking to each other perfectly and could even imagine the scene...agree that maybe there should be some movement (what are they doing while talking, is she still getting ready for work?, could she maybe pick up the picture of Keanu and give it a swooning stare) I did laugh when he was looking under the covers... it's funny cause it's real! hehe :D

Hey!

Thanks for the advice!

Just after I posted my script last night, I read through it again and began to think that something wasn't quite right with it. I'm a terrible defeatist though and was straight away telling myself that I just wasn't cut out for sitcom writing! Sleeping on it has helped though and so have your comments.

I worked out that perhaps it did drag on a bit; I ran through it and figured that it would last about 5 minutes, so I'm going to try and cut it down to around 4 minutes. Also, the point about moving the action is very good. I think I'm going to start the scene in the front room in the evening. There can be some brief character development and then they retire to the bedroom to get ready for sleep. As Gavin pointed out, it does seem a bit stretched. Hopefully with my changes it can become more snappy.

I noticed that everyone liked the dialogue and I was happy with that. It was about 18 months ago I decided that I'd like to write a sitcom, but I had a lot of trouble getting any dialogue going. The problem was that I was trying to write about things I had never experienced; I'd be trying to write about two men living in a flat together despite myself still living at home! Writing about staying at my girlfriends flat is a lot easier as its something I have done many times!

Hi Winter I'm glad you have taken the crit onboard so gracefully loads of newer member usually fly off the handle when comment but your well on your way if you can accept critism :D keep going

Welcome Winterlight.

A good start I think. You're probably like most of us - read it one day it's brilliant, read the same thing another day it's crap.

Maybe Gavin has a point about it being too long but is this the intro/scene setter? You mention maybe starting in the (previous?) evening.

Just do what you feel - but my point is always "don't give us too much".

This is going to be the opening scene. I think I need to emphasise why Gram is going to the lengths he is to create such a romantic evening for his lady. I've started writing it from scratch again and am happy with how its going so far.

If you're changing it, post it again rather than edit because I for one forget what it was like originally and can't always see the changes.

Oh ok. I haven't reposted it yet, but perhaps will soon. Currently hit a brick wall, but I'm persevering.

Just ignore me.