Does anyone know...

... if there are departments at the BBC (or other networks) that look at ideas (or in my case, stories) that aren't written in script format? That is they're happy to read through material knowing that they can get projects they like and decide to greenlight, 'scripted' by people already on the payroll?

Gad... does that even make sense?

To (hopefully) make it more clear; I love comedy but I'm a mile off writing the stuff, specifically as full scripts and the like. Do I have to submit my ideas as fuly written scripts or will some people look at stories?

I think Channel 4 does. I can't remember how, but there is some place on the website where you can send in an idea for new programming. It sounds a bit weird, with C4 getting all their stuff from independant companies and all. But i assume they pass it off to them.

Just a thought, but why don`t you have a go at writing them Darren?

Scripts are visual stories, of course there`s all the other stuff to consider, but sitcoms (as I see it), are generally about a good strong premise, great characters and their reactions to their situations.

I`m sure you probably know the above and I`m sure others could probably put it better and will, but why not have a go and have fun doing it:D

you're right, of course... I guess I'm just feeling a bit out of my depth. I don't usually worry about jumping in and trying something out. It's been a fraught year though, so far and my confidence is a little shot, I think.

Although I love comedy, my big passion is science fiction... I'm currently writing short stories and it's been great fun. I did start another thread about converting a short story into a script... thinking that perhaps this was a way to get used to how scripts work and what they should contain etc.

I guess I should just get on with it... :)

Darren. Just do it mate. As far as confidence goes, I think that if you lay it out and present your idea as best you can, as long as you think it's funny and it makes you laugh, then go with it.

thanks wjfk... like Jude, you're right.

The story I'm thinking about converting isn't 'sitcom' in the classic sense but I think (hope) there's enough room for something a little different. It doesn't have a roll-on-the-floor-with-laughter ending, for example, but I'm not sure that has to be the case all the time... or does it?

All I can think of is getting an agent and getting them to arrange an interview for you to try and pitch an idea.

Yeah... I thought about an agent. Either way, I need a lot more material before I do anything else!

Yeah I think I've read an agent expects you to have a portfolio(is that the right word, bloody can't remember anything today)