Cicely Courtneidge or Doris Hare

Two actors have played Mum in the popular ITV Sitcom "On the Buses". Cicely Courtneidge played her for the first 7 episodes and Doris Hare played her for the remaining 67. I am going to go for Cicely Courtneidge. They were both great, but I think Cicely made the charactor more likeable. But well done Doris Hare as well, you also did great.

A bit of an obscure thread this one, but ok! Me... Well I've only seen a handful of episodes from series one so far I'm afraid, so can't really comment.

Actually, this could be an interesting thread. Actors (true thespians only ever call themselves actors, apparently) who have played the same character in a sitcom. Seinfeld has had two different fathers. Can't tell you the names but as far as I know it was only for one episode.

Clare Woodgate and Clare Buckfield.

I'd probably go for Buckfield, but then she's got an unfair 7-series-to-1 advantage.

I'd say Doris Hare.

Cicely Courtneidge was fine enough buy when she glared it was frightening.She was just a bit too regimental.On the other hand Doris was a little bit more relaxed and portrayed a kinder mother.

There were 5 Damiens in OFAH!

Carol in Friends changed after her first appearance, but that's American and they have no problem with that sort of thing.

The most obvious one I can think of is Game On, Ben Chaplin played Matt in series 1 and Neil Stuke took over for the remainder. They even tip the wink to it at the start of series 2 with a Rosanne gag after the credits roll. Choosing between the two is very difficult. I started watching from series 2, sop I always think of Stuke as the 'real' Matt, but I think Chaplin is better, it's a shame he stopped.

There were 3 actors playing Charles Johnson in Citizen Smith: Antro Morris (Pilot), Peter Vaughn (Series 1 and 2) and Tony Steedman (Series 3 and 4).

Quote: Rick Skelton @ July 2, 2007, 3:41 PM

The most obvious one I can think of is Game On, Ben Chaplin played Matt in series 1 and Neil Stuke took over for the remainder. They even tip the wink to it at the start of series 2 with a Rosanne gag after the credits roll. Choosing between the two is very difficult. I started watching from series 2, sop I always think of Stuke as the 'real' Matt, but I think Chaplin is better, it's a shame he stopped.

Sure it wasn't meant to be a different guy? Long time since I watched it.

Random fact: My Nan taught Matthew Cottle when he was at primary school.

It was the same character, watched it recently.