Converting a Short Story...

I'm not a script writer per se... I'm currently honing my skills by writing short fiction (mainly science-fiction/fantasy) but I have one short story I'd like to try and convert into a script.

I think it's a suitable cadidate... it's funny and has plenty of dialogue... but I have no idea how to go about it.

I'm assuming that it's not simply a case of direct translation?

What would be the best place to start? Are there any pitfalls that should be avoided... and any 'tricks' that should be employed?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

EDIT - sorry, I know it's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string...' question but any pointers would be good...

Main problem with converting stories to screenplay. In stories you can have many scenes and locations. In a screenplay, if you're looking at budget (nearly all producers do, especially when working with an unknown writer) then scene numbers and locations become a big issue. First, look to compressing the number of locations.

When you convert a short story, another factor is Point-of-view. Is the story told from the first person, third person, or God perspective? When you come to screenplay, you lose a lot of character introspection and inner dialogue. Yes, there are techniques but Voice-Over is frowned upon. It goes in fashionable cycles and is apparently 'out' at the moment.

The introspection will need to be converted into action or dialogue if it is absolutely key to the story (If it isn't then why is it in the short story to begin with?).

Try to tell the story as economically as possible (cost / dialogue / action).

OK, thanks SlagA... that's a big help!

The short in question is actually mainly dialogue driven and set in one location, which is why I thought it might make a good candidate for conversion.

Any particular thoughts on length? Is there a guide available somewhere that shows how long a script needs to be, say, to fill a half-hour slot?

As a rough guide 1 page is about a minute of screen time. So about 30 to 50 pages.

Ah... OK, thanks!

How much time should be devoted to writing the scene set-up? Is this something usually left to the director, i.e. as long as I have a brief description:

Mid-afternoon, scruffy lounge, game show on TV

etc.

that's fine?

Or does it require more detail?

INT. LOUNGE - MID-AFTERNOON

THE TV BLARES AWAY AS A GAME SHOW PLAYS ON THE T.V IN THE SCRUFFY LOUNGE.

It's something like that. Try to describe everything thats important, in the shortest snappiest way.

If you Google I'm sure you will be able to find basic guides to writing a script. You could also look in the critique section for example.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/ - try this website, it should give you some tips.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scriptsmart/ - If your using Word, try downloading this template, it has a sample script with descriptions on the layout.

Thanks Leevil,

a good idea... don't know why I didn't think of it! Googling now...

And those links will be helpful I'm sure...

I Googled couldn't find bugger all. But I only did it quick.

I found quite a lot... too much to sift through quickly... but I'm sure there's some useful stuff in there.

EDIT - most of the stuff is, in fact, scripting as code (HTML etc.) Might have to refine my search...

There is this though:

http://www.scriptwritingsecrets.com/contents.htm

It's a 'tiny' bit American... but it could come in handy...