Dad's Army star Colin Bean dies

Colin Bean (1925, Wigan, Lancashire – June, 20, 2009[1]) was an English actor best known for his role as Private Sponge in the World War II sitcom Dad's Army, appearing in every episode.

He has also had roles in Z Cars, The Liver Birds and a guest appearance on Are You Being Served?, and appeared as the verger in the second to last episode of Hi-de-Hi! in 1988. Bean's first appearance was as a shepherd in a school play, and much against paternal intentions, he took up acting professionally until being called up for national service. He served for four years, spending some time in Japan, and taking the opportunity to continue his acting by joining the BCOF. After graduating from drama school in 1952 he joined the Sheffield Rep as assistant stage manager; regular theatre work followed. His work in Dad's Army came as a result of working at Watford Rep in 1962 under series co-writer Jimmy Perry as the company's actor/manager, in addition to almost 20 years of playing a pantomime dame. His TV appearances have been varied, including 'Z Cars', 'The Gnomes of Dulwich', 13 episodes of 'Michael Bentine Time', although due to arthritis, he has mainly concentrated on his radio work. He has written his autobiography 'Who Do You Think You Are Kidding!' which was published in 1998.

Though wheelchair bound in his latter years, he continued to make sporadic but popular appearances on stage in the North West of England discussing his long acting career. He was also a regular at Dads Army reunion events. He continued to live in the Scholes area of Wigan and was a well known face around the town.

Bean's father played football for Wigan Borough F.C.

Gotta love Private Sponge, a great stalwart of a great programme. RIP.

Very sad. RIP. He wrote to me once, seemed very proud of his time in Dad's Army. Sponge was a nice little character. Always very eager.

RIP, a fine person to have on hand in Dad's Army. Seems all the cast of the classic seem to be passing away now.

My Series 4 DVD is signed by the man himself. RIP. :(

This is very sad to hear. Colin Bean was always very noticeable in Dad's Army and I've always liked the character of Sponge. RIP Colin Bean.

Man. I was watching series 3 last night too. Sad indeed. RIP Spongy.

Sad to see the poor man go. RIP.

RIP the original Mr Bean. Dad's Army must have been a mixed blessing for him though - his character was always the most anonymous and even when he was brought forward after James Beck died I can't recall Sponge being given any funny lines or scenes.

Goodnight Private . . . .

Quote: Badge @ June 23 2009, 12:20 AM BST

RIP the original Mr Bean. Dad's Army must have been a mixed blessing for him though - his character was always the most anonymous and even when he was brought forward after James Beck died I can't recall Sponge being given any funny lines or scenes.

There were a few funny lines I can remember Sponge having. For example, I remember there was a scene in which Mainwaring tells Sponge not to drink on duty. Sponge says, "Not a drop will touch our lips sir."

When Mainwaring leaves, Sponge turns to the rest of the men and says, "We'll use straws."

:( One of my favourites is when Mainwaring wants a mascot and a ram is suggested. Frazer suggests that Sponge lends one of his rams and it's when Sponge says that they are very funny tempered at this time of year and Pike wanted to know why. It's the reply from Frazer and Walker which gets the laughs, which still keeps Pike confused.
RIP in Colin you will be sadly missed. Unfortunately I missed him at Bressingham last year. But this year I did manage to get a signed photo of him. This was one I had missed out on previous occasions when he went around the UK on his one man shows.

At ease, soldier. RIP.