Tony Hancock hotel

While stopping over in Bournemouth, the hotel I was staying at was next to the hotel that used to be run by the parents of Tony Hancock. The only ironic thing I noticed was that the hotel's bar was named Hancocks, and Hancock was, as most people know, a chronic alcoholic. He might have liked the gag, don't know.

Edited by Aaron.

What beer did they serve there?

Thought you were going to mention a certain Australian hotel for a moment? If that place has a bar named after him (or indeed a pharmacy), then that might be considered poor taste.

What was the address of this hotel, Peter?

Quote: Gavin @ June 5 2009, 8:56 PM BST

What beer did they serve there?

I don't know what Beer they serve, but ask for 'Nearly an Arm full'

It is in very bad taste especially given it was his childhood home

He probably would have found it funny? :)

But the name was his family's, it wasn't exclusive to him. So not exactly coincidental that the hotel bar is called "Hancocks" (with or without an apostrophe) - certainly not in bad taste. Ironic that he grew to be an alcoholic perhaps, but not ironic that the bar holds the name.

Quote: Aaron @ June 5 2009, 9:18 PM BST

What was the address of this hotel, Peter?

http://www.theaa.com/hotels/quality-hotel-bournemouth-378831

Quote: Aaron @ June 5 2009, 9:23 PM BST

But the name was his family's, it wasn't exclusive to him. So not exactly coincidental that the hotel bar is called "Hancocks" (with or without an apostrophe) - certainly not in bad taste. Ironic that he grew to be an alcoholic perhaps, but not ironic that the bar holds the name.

We beg to differ then Aaron I just feel there are other areas of the hotel they could have nsmed in his honour like the dining room for example

Peter, you miss my point. 'Hancock' was not a name exclusive to him. It's unlikely to be named "in his honour", or with him in mind. The hotel was run by a family with the surname Hancock. If it's not anymore, then the present owners may have kept the name on the bar to preserve the link with Tony - but it's not named after him.

Quote: peter gazzard @ June 5 2009, 9:32 PM BST

I just feel there are other areas of the hotel they could have nsmed in his honour like the dining room for example

The best naming of a dining room after an actor has to be in the brilliant 2001 film Not Another Teen Movie, where the high school's cafeteria is called the Anthony Michael Dining Hall.

Quote: peter gazzard @ June 5 2009, 9:32 PM BST

I just feel there are other areas of the hotel they could have nsmed in his honour like the dining room for example

After ten pints there, you won't give a fig either way. Neither would Hancock, I guess.