Red Dwarf - Back To Earth

Discuss.

Ahem. *repeats self*

I enjoyed it.

I don't know what clips got you all riled up so much, but I didn't think it was bad at all.

Nice to see it back! Enjoyable but not laugh out loud funny imho.

A couple of things bothered me...

Didn't think Rimmer could touch stuff. He was pushing buttons and holding tentacles.

Also, what happened to the rest of the crew. Did I miss something? I saw the grave but missed an explanation.

Rimmers a hard light hologram so he can touch.
I can't tell you why he's back to being a hologram though.

Who was that picture next to Kochanski ? was it Rob Grant ?

Yeah I liked it. I agree there were no laugh out loud moments but it was enjoyable.

It was over amazingly quickly, seemed like 10 minutes.

Still unsure about the coronation street visit but it was a good start, especially since the reviews have said the first episode was the worst.

Also...

Rimmer has a hard light drive so can touch stuff. I guess the crew were killed in Only the good and Rimmer bought back as a hologram, don't know how the other guys escaped but I'm sure it will be explained.

Quote: Fred Sunshine @ April 10 2009, 9:36 PM BST

Rimmers a hard light hologram so he can touch.
I can't tell you why he's back to being a hologram though.

Who was that picture next to Kochanski ? was it Rob Grant ?

When did he become hard light? I noticed he mentioned that to the other hologram.

There's something bigger than God headed right at you.
I found that lolworthy.

Quote: greensville @ April 10 2009, 9:39 PM BST

When did he become hard light? I noticed he mentioned that to the other hologram.

During Series 6 I think.
Didn't Legion give them the technology ?

In series 5 I think when he met Legion. Since then he was made human again but must have died at the end of series 8.

Quote: Tom G @ April 10 2009, 9:38 PM BST

Yeah I liked it. I agree there were no laugh out loud moments but it was enjoyable.

It was over amazingly quickly, seemed like 10 minutes.

Still unsure about the coronation street visit but it was a good start, especially since the reviews have said the first episode was the worst.

Also...

Rimmer has a hard light drive so can touch stuff. I guess the crew were killed in Only the good and Rimmer bought back as a hologram, don't know how the other guys escaped but I'm sure it will be explained.

There is a clip on YouTube showing what happened after the end of series VIII
but it doesn't explain everything. It doesn't explain very much actually.

The end of series 8 explains almost nothing. It left everyone except Rimmer in the mirror/prism universe, while he was left to see off Death. Maybe both versions of Kochanski died, but only one of the others? Or they could regenerate Rimmer from the stuff on the other ship?

Anyway, I *did* enjoy it, and it went amazingly fast, but my parents talked over most of it, which I'm very annoyed about, and I am reluctant to judge until I've seen all 3 parts.

In space no one can hear you laugh. I think I expected a lot more considering it hadn't been on our screens for a million years. A lot of very weak jokes, retreads and zero character development.

The tentacle / testacle joke was stolen as well, used to much better effect in the brilliant 80's movie Better Off Dead.

Cod Eastern European accents are now becoming a tired cliche in British comedy and only further to distract then entertain.

This is what happens when you succumb to hype based on rose tinted nostalgia. It didn't have to be revolutionary, just funny. And it were not.

Let's hope the first episode was just being used to set up great gags for Episode 2. I live in hope (and fear).

Hope the next episode is better.

I enjoyed it, but it really didn't work as an episode in its own right, it just seemed to suddenly stop! Obviously he's just written a movie and sliced it in three.

So yes, very enjoyable, but lacking in big laughs. Also weird to have Lister crying at one point. From what I understand it does pick up quite a bit in the next part.

Quote: Fred Sunshine @ April 10 2009, 9:42 PM BST

During Series 6 I think.
Didn't Legion give them the technology ?

Correct.

I just really hope they explain what the heck happened for us to reach this point!