Father Ted - Father Fintan Stack

Just thought I'd dedicate a thread to Father Fintan Stack, who was the wonderfully rude preist in the classic Father Ted episode 'New Jack City' His antics included jumping on Ted's picture, stealing Ted's Frosties, calling Ted's friends dirty feckers and a pair of wankers and of course listening to Jungle Music. The Jungle Music he listens to is a song called Limb by Limb by Cutty Ranks. Such a legendery song due to its Father Ted appearance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=donfJlDdiUU

Anyone else think Stack is a legend?

Genius character and the genius of Father Ted was to have a character that great and use him once.

I liked him a lot. But weren't the writers unhappy with him, or his performance? I seem to remember reading somewhere (possibly in the script book) that they thought he comes across as too dark and unpleasant. And it has to be said, for a character in a fluffy sitcom he has genuine menace.

Yes, they did say he was too unpleasant. But I really found him amusing and Graham Linehan said it was his least favourite episode.

Does anyone know what the music is in New Jack City when ted and Dougal remember father Jack? It's about 11 minutes in to the episode. It's classical with strings and possibly an oboe or clarinet? Thanks!

Quote: The real Mrs Doyle @ 8th November 2017, 7:54 PM

Does anyone know what the music is in New Jack City when ted and Dougal remember father Jack? It's about 11 minutes in to the episode. It's classical with strings and possibly an oboe or clarinet? Thanks!

The way it starts and ends in time with the scene makes me think it's from a library or has been composed by a Channel 4 music egghead especially for that scene. I could be wrong but it doesn't sound like it's been taken from a classical piece and there is no reference to it in any episode descriptions.

When this episode came out I was listening to jungle and had bought a cassette called Sounds Of The Jungle by a DJ called Jumping Jack Frost. It had the same DJ SS remix of Limb by Limb that Father Stack is blasting out so it made me laugh at the choice of track. I've used that track in quite a few mixes of my own.