New script

Was just wondering what you guys thought about this. Me and my writing partner are writing a new idea for a sitcom. In most sitcoms the characters all know each other already at the start and the viewer learns about the characters through their interactions. However, the specific idea we are working on involves characters who don't know each other at first but meet each other in the first episode. The consequence of this is that the first 15 minutes or so is spent by them introducing themselves to each other. It's alright, but just wondering what you think about it? Do you think it would be a boring start or what?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Personally I'd prefer to be thrown in and learn about the characters as we go along. Learning with the character may drag a little on the story mate. Dont take my word for it though give it a go :D

Personally I'd prefer to be thrown in and learn about the characters as we go along. Learning with the character may drag a little on the story mate. Dont take my word for it though give it a go :D

Its fine for an intro as long as you keep the jokes coming or even better weave jokes into the personal information. Usually if you're sending off a script you would not send off the first episode but a later one.

Nice idea btw

Yeah, Gavin, I know what you mean, that was what I thought, but it's the only way it can be done to create the atmosphere/interactions etc. that we want. We'll give it a go, but might need to re-write the first episode when we're done if it is clearly much slower and drawn-out than the rest.

Thanks Gav & AJP - you're advice is very much appreciated.

Take a look at the first episode of Spaced, it's done perfectly. 2 minutes of Daisy and Tim breaking up with the respective spouses, then meeting each other in a cafe, and it goes from there.

Even Ep 1 of The Office uses the conceit of showing a new member of staff around to show us who everyone is. If you do it well, we won't notice, but as someone else has said, get into the introduction as late as you can. I know from re-reading my own stuff that the reader seldomn needs to know as much as I first thought.

Another question, this one is more about script formatting though. For a comedy drama, are you supposed to start a new page for each scene? I looked on writersroom formatting tips, but that seems to vary between ideas. Anyone know?

I would write comedy drama as a drama script so use the drama option on scriptsmart.

But what counts as a new scene? Every time you cut a view (even if it's continuing the dialogue from before but in a new room) or everytime there is a completely new scene (e.g. different time of day/different characters etc.)

INT. BEDROOM. DAY

Stuff happens.

CUT TO:

Stuff here.

INT. BEDROOM. CONTINUOUS

Back to discussion.

I'm sure that's right? It's probably not what you are talking about but still.

Yeah that's cool, so would the "CUT TO:" start a new page or not?

Nope, don't think so. If it did then it's probably a waste of space.

And the 5th of April article here: http://dannystack.blogspot.com/index.html

Gives great advice on spacing everything out.

Theres a tutorial on the scriptsmart cage on the scriptsmart webpage. As a general rule you should start every new scene on a new page and put CUT TO: at the end of every scene. If your switching scenes frequently e.g. switching between two conversasions then you don't have to put the scenes on a new page.

There are no rules really. But you could lose a lot of gag time introducing the characters - unless it's done in a funny, original way. After all laughs is what it's all about.

bump