A Parsons and Naylor Question

As everyone is probably more than aware, for any aspiting comedy writer aiming to get their material to an established wider audience, the choices are limited and maybe that is why everyone gets really excited at the prospect of Parsons and Naylor. As that show seems to be one of the few opportunities available for uncommissioned hopefuls, I'm still in the dark as to what writers think about the programme their submitting for.

Despite it always being held up as some kind of Holy Grail, a magic beacon of biting satirical comment, I've got to be honest and say that although I'm a regular listener, I don't think it exactly sets the world alight.

OK, and here’s the question: Is Parsons and Naylor all that it's cracked up to be or is everyone just deluding themselves?

If we all aspire to be writers, I feel that as in music, you should be able to adapt to most genres. If it makes somebody laugh then I guess it's comedy and that show seems to make quite a number of people do just that.

I think what they do on Parsons and Naylor is only use stuff if they, the proper writers, don't come up with stuff which explains why most of it is pants, they don't even stick to the format half the time. A better example is the Radio 4 show which was about Sunday supplements (I can't remember the name of it though). Anyway everyone knows the good stuff airs on Radio 4.

I have listened to a couple on the internet, it airs too late for me on radio 2, and found most of it to be more amusing than I was expecting. I've submitted a few gags for the last couple of shows but did that more as it's one of the only opportunities than anything. Am often amused by Andy Parsons when he's on mock the week though.

The problem with Parsons and Naylor is as its on radio 2 the jokes have to be a bit tamer.

It's also a "safe" programme to air as its kinda sorta funny and it must pull in a tidy audience.

Yeah Andy is very good in mock the week.

Do you really think so Paul? I agree with Baumski though that it ISN'T as good as it could be - but again I think it's a good exercise if nothing else to have a go. Also it really is about the only outlet I know of and with ultra-topical stuff it won't really mean anything later on so I always have a go - not successfully yet though.