Question for a Dad's Army fan

I've just bought the box set. I'll work my way through it - but there're 77 episodes, so my question is what are some of the better ones if I want to just watch a few now?

The first one is a great start.

As a Dad's Army addict, this is my top 5.

'Getting the Bird'- is a gem of an episode, everyone's on top of their game and James Beck gets to play a prominent role.

'The Desperate Drive of Lance Corporal Jones' - a completely stupid episode that makes me laugh out loud even though I've seen it 100s of times.

'Put That Light Out' - contains one of Frazer's immortal monologues and loads of funny moments.

'The Godiva Affair'- a later episode that has nothing to do with the war but is superb and contains one of the best closing lines in a sitcom ever.

'A Brush With the Law' - Mainwaring in court, Jones speaking up for him, priceless - probably my favourite episode.

Thanks Greg. I'll start with 'Getting the bird' later tonight. Knowing Walker - I can imagine what that involves.

Here are my top five:
1. Operation Kilt- Series 2 episode 1
2. Battle School- Series 3 episode 2
3. The Test- Series 4 episode 10
4. Things that Go Bump in the Night- Series 6 episode 6
5. Fallen Idol- Series 4 episode 13

Surely it's best to watch them in order. At least you know where you've got to and don't keep watching the same ones.

First series is great, start with that.

Quote: Jack Massey @ November 27 2008, 10:27 PM GMT

Here are my top five:
1. Operation Kilt- Series 2 episode 1
2. Battle School- Series 3 episode 2
3. The Test- Series 4 episode 10
4. Things that Go Bump in the Night- Series 6 episode 6
5. Fallen Idol- Series 4 episode 13

Thanks Jack - knew I could rely on you. I saw things that go bump in the night a few years ago - that's definitely a classic. Just watched most of series five on an earlier recommendation. Some really good stuff.

As for Chapman and Timbo - I've said I just wanted a few stand-out episodes from someone who knew them well. Obviously I should start with series one. Stupid boys.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ November 28 2008, 12:14 AM GMT

Thanks Jack - knew I could rely on you. I saw things that go bump in the night a few years ago - that's definitely a classic. Just watched most of series five on an earlier recommendation. Some really good stuff.

As for Chapman and Timbo - I've said I just wanted a few stand-out episodes from someone who knew them well. Obviously I should start with series one. Stupid boys.

Well f**king do it then! <3

My favourite episode has always been War Dance from series 3 (or 4 I can't quite remember). Arthur Lowe is fantastic in this episode. Fallen Idol is an amazing episode with Lowe again, shining. There are so many great episodes of this, although some of the later episodes are lacking. I think David Croft stopped producing and directing them as they approached series 8&9 as he was involved with other shows, the show then lost a certain something.

The show pre James Beck's death is a match for any sitcom in the world, in my opinion.

Hi first time post here. Just had to give my twopenneth worth.

Asleep In The Deep - Great situation to be in and some classic lines.

Branded - How sorry do you feel for Godfrey in this episode?

Mum's Army - You get to see the emotion that Arthur Lowe as a great actor could carry out.

The Honorouble Man - The smoked salmon at the golf club scene always makes me laugh.

Everybody's Truckin - Just some great moments from the scandal of the verger being caught on a day out with Mrs Fox and Mainwaring face where it all kicks off. Also contains the classic line " She's small but very determined"

Anyway hope you liked my first post.

My personal favourite episode is High Finance, one of the later episodes. In it, Jones owes the bank some money, but it turns out that Jones is owned the money, by someone else who owns the money, by someone else who owns the money and so on. The plot just escalates like mad.

Welcome! :)

Thanks Aaron :D

Wales