New here.

Hello to everyone, been using the site for a while but took the plunge and signed up today. Don't know why I hadn't before.

Anyway, thought I'd start off by plugging my online sitcom Who's Toby?.

The whole first series is online so feel free to have a watch and let me know any thoughts.

http://www.whostoby.com

Look forward to seeing you all around.

Stu

Hello and welcome to finally posting on here. I checked out the trailer and it looks pretty good, I'll check the rest out later.

Welcome to the forum, just watched the teaser trailer. Looks like a lot of effort you've gone to, it does put me off from wanting to watch more though because it seems to be filled with "that voice" and "Gervais-isms", but maybe that's been a bit harsh, I will watch a full episode later.

Hi Stuart. I'll watch the trailer / episode eventually but thought I'd just say hello first. Like the bastardised Starbucks logo. I used to work for them and got sacked on two counts of storing and selling chocolate brownies that were 4 days out-of-date. They're a very serious bunch.

Welcome.

Haven't watched them yet but "Who's Toby?" - Is that a Reservoir Dogs reference?

It wasn't an intentional reference but it's a nice one!

I've just got round to watching the series and its amazingly good. I would implore everyone to go to the site and watch the series.

Also the stand up video on your myspace page was excellent aswell. I really like the IRA joke and the journey joke. Couldn't hear what the crowd were like but i was pissing myself. The style reminds a bit of Sarah Silverman, is she an influence?

Thank you very much.

Regards to Silverman, I like what I've seen of her on the odd show here and there and in Greg The Bunny but have never really seen any stand up by her. Have always meant to though because I'm generally a fan whenever she's in something.

The crowd was pretty miserable and spread out but they got going a bit nearer the end of my set. It's what you get for doing gigs in Slough.

Only watched the first episode (up to 7 mins in, anyway) so maybe my comments aren't pertinent to the rest of the series. In seven minutes I couldn't see a plot develop, rather it seemed random observations and stories. If you're going to describe it as a sitcom, then it really needs a plot. What you have with the first episode is a ten-minute-plus sketch.

Personally, I like comedy to deliver and get out. I would be absolutely terrified of giving 15 seconds camera time just to look down at the crumbs on my T-shirt and say "Crumbs." That was the moment in the episode I switched to listening, rather than watching. There was very little visual to engage the viewers but saying that I really liked the framing and the lighting. It was very well done.

Will try and watch your stand-up. Did you give an URL for it?

The plot is there but it isn't a smash you in the face style sitcom. Slow-burn over the ten episodes.

The stand up link hasn't been given but i shall do so now:

http://www.youtube.com/stuchopslaws

Cheers

Quote: Martin Holmes @ March 13, 2007, 3:50 PM

it seems to be filled with "that voice" and "Gervais-isms"

Hi and a belated welcome. Watched episode one and I have to confess that my immediate reaction was that was a strong cross between Gervais, Smith and Jones and the end segment from Men Behaving Badly. Maybe that's not such a bad thing but because those elements are there, I found it hard to see it as new, exciting and different.

Quote: ajp29 @ March 27, 2007, 3:14 AM

I've just got round to watching the series and its amazingly good. I would implore everyone to go to the site and watch the series.

Boo hiss boo! Would be in QuickTime; practically the only format I can't play. >_<

Will have to try on another machine at some point...

Welcome. I watched bits from a couple of episodes, congrats on achieving so much. I usually like my sitcoms a lot faster paced though so this wasn't really my thing (I don't like the Royle family either so you're in good company!).

I don't know whether it's a style decision to use one camera or a budget one. But I thought a second camera would make it more visually interesting...(and force you to edit more :) )

I thought the stand-up was really good.

A line in your stand-up about your dad dropping you on your head, I thought it would've been funnier if you'd done something about, 17th November 1986, 1986 being the number of times he'd dropped you...can't think how to word it without thinking properly.

Thanks to everyone who gave it a shot and some feedback.

re shoepie:
We just wanted a natural feel to it so improvised and stuck with the one shot so it seemed more like real people were being secretly filmed rather than actors playing characters.

Thanks to everyone who found my stand-up video as well, nice to hear feedback. It wasn't my best gig but some of my preferred material is in the video.