Idea

Is a sitcom set entirely on a bus focussing on it's passengers a plausible idea?

Yes.

Is it a National Express or a 12 seater shuttle?

If it's the first you'll need a host of actors due to its size.
And If the latter it would be extremly compact set up allowing for camera crews etc.
So if you opt for the shuttle just make sure the caterers don't serve sprouts on set

I think probably the latter as the characters are more 'scummy' and dysfunctional.

Quote: PurpleRonnie @ June 13 2013, 7:33 PM BST

Is a sitcom set entirely on a bus focussing on it's passengers a plausible idea?

It is a plausible idea, but I think one that would take a lot of work to get the set up right. (Although so does any sitcom!)

Classically sitcom characters are stuck together (e.g. in a family or a workplace) somewhere they can't easily escape the low level conflict that drives the show.

One question you may have to answer is: Why don't they just get off the bus? (Even if they have to wait till the next stop).

It is also difficult if they don't know each other already. Most sitcoms start with characters who already know each other well.

But you might be able to do something different with it, more of a series of comic character studies than traditional sitcom. Or you could find some really clever solutions to these problems (that's what writing is about isn't it).

So definitely worth attempting. Good luck.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ June 13 2013, 7:43 PM BST

And If the latter it would be extremly compact set up allowing for camera crews etc.

No problem if it's for radio.

It could be done for radio easily...
have "main" character as driver with just his rambling thoughts seeing the same streets and stops every day (absurd thoughts)
as the bus stops the "ding" is the sign of a new character that is then followed for the journey...either in thought (noisy school kids, what I would do!!!) or in conversation with the person next to them. (maybe it is someone they meet everyday, maybe a stranger or maybe some maniac)
...even if the comedy dries with someone a far off "ding" and footsteps signals new character that is followed as they pass and the previous characters fade off... as if the mic' was a house fly or a bus fly !
That sounds workable!

No reason why not whatsoever - and it's very similar to one of my ideas. Thought about mainly because of the Sitcom Trials limited number of sets.

I think something like that has been done before

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_Life

"Overnite Express" by Sanjeev Kohli and Donald McLeary did this a few years ago.Should be on YouTube. Doesn't mean it can't be done better now.

Quote: PurpleRonnie @ June 13 2013, 7:33 PM BST

That's a great ifea

Quote: Jaicee @ July 12 2013, 5:28 PM BST

"Overnite Express" by Sanjeev Kohli and Donald McLeary did this a few years ago.Should be on YouTube. Doesn't mean it can't be done better now.

I shall seek that out, thanks Jaicee - I'm a big fan of Fags, Mags & Bags.

Funnily enough, I once toyed with the idea of a sitcome set on a commuter train, so basiclaly the same thing - but with the added bonus that there's some flimsy justification as ot why these people who clealry don't like each other spend 30 minutes together every day, and don't just walk away. Anyway, yes, I think it's a perfectly plausible idea.

What about making it on the megabus? or on one of those commuter coaches as I knew someone that used to get one and had friends they'd made on it, etc.