Do you find smiling/laughing makes things funnier?

do you find that smiling to an audience and laughing along makes the audience laugh more.

psychologically we know smiling is contagious (as is laughter) but in terms of a stage performance, does it really add that much? or is a drier delivery more preferable?

just a thought whilst I consider my own style

i guess it depends on your style? not that I've performed, but it'd seem weird if, say, Michael Redmond was doing his stuff with a big grin on his face.

Well I think it depends on your audience, I have noticed at gigs with a receptive audience who are up for it that comedians enjoy themselves more, obvious I know but if the audience are being receptive then your confidence grows and its hard not to smile and laugh along with them, I remember the first time I performed as Julio and the audience laughed so loud at one of my jokes that I could not stop myself from laughing along with them, I wish I could keep re-living that moment its one of my favourite in life so far, however I performed to a room full of comedians with no audience other than performers the other day and although I didn't bomb I can't say I particularly enjoyed that experience and it was the first time coming off stage not feeling great, but looking back I should have just done my set the best I could rather than being a diva about it, but you live and learn.