How to write a subtitle on a TV programme...

...into a BBC taped sitcom format.

The context is;

FELIX

OPENS THE FOUR ENVELOPES, DOESN'T REMOVE THE CONTENTS BUT PEERS INSIDE THEM.

(looks disappointed)

LOOKS UP AT LARGE MONITOR ON THE WALL. A 24 HOUR NEWS CHANNEL IS ON WITH THE SOUND DOWN. A SUBTITLE SCROLLS ACROSS...

***formatted line here***

Any ideas greatly received.

Brynne

You could write the words in Word and print them
You could then glue them to the TV screen as the film is played and get them right where you want them
Then you can get a video camera and film the TV screen with the words in situ
But I'm sure there's an easier way.

You don't need to do anything other than write in the words,(unless the formatting is critical to the plot). That kind of thing is the Director's job.

Just do anything you can to distinguish it from the action - put in quotes , Italics, whatever.
(If it wasn't such a daft format you could use caps, but there you go!)

Ahh, thank you guys

Quote: Lazzard @ March 21 2013, 7:08 PM GMT

Just do anything you can to distinguish it from the action - put in quotes , Italics, whatever.
(If it wasn't such a daft format you could use caps, but there you go!)

Lazzard, which format would you use for a half hour sitcom? I'd appreciate the suggestion of an alternative? I would ideally like it in a format that a production company who works with channel 4 might use?

I reiterate, I don't expect it to get anywhere near that far so do excuse the grandiose projections, but if I don't get the very basics right I have absolutely no chance.

Bill has suggested I contact some production companies to ask them for a submission format, but I'm open to suggestions before I do that?

I hope I'm not being a pain in the arse asking all these stupid questions, but I really need all the help I can get from you guys.

B x

Bill's got the right idea on two fronts:

1) You'll get a slightly more definitive answer
2) You never know, you might get a contact out of it.

Apart from very specific requests - almost exclusively from the BBC - you're pretty safe with standard screenplay format.

I don't speak subtitle... :D