Podcast about this 'n' that!

Podcast #22 out now: http://iddonandrichards.podbean.com/

and the iTunes link: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-iddon-richards-podcasts/id498834373

If you're at podcast #22 already I doubt you're really looking for advice, but being as you've put this in Critique I'll ask this - who are you hoping is going to tune into a podcast with two unknowns talking about nothing in particular?

I feel terribly jaded that my initial urge was to write your mum

Then thought who cares?

This must be what enui feels like

Quote: David Bussell @ February 28 2013, 3:03 PM GMT

If you're at podcast #22 already I doubt you're really looking for advice, but being as you've put this in Critique I'll ask this - who are you hoping is going to tune into a podcast with two unknowns talking about nothing in particular?

Wales Well mainly we are doing them for our own enjoyment - I doubt anyone who makes podcasts does it for any other reason to be honest (unless they are already famous of course). Most podcasts that are just "chatting about stuff" don't have a lot of structure to them - maybe it's something to think about. We do split ours into sections depending on what topics we talk about.

There are a few points we are aware of like the length of them - of course they are pretty long and I could understand no-one would have any desire to listen. Though we are thinking about shorter clips, like taking 5 to 10 minutes of each one and putting them seperately.

We've done a "special" about The Paranormal which was topic specific and we want to start doing more of them. Wales

Quote: sootyj @ February 28 2013, 3:15 PM GMT

I feel terribly jaded that my initial urge was to write your mum

Then thought who cares?

This must be what enui feels like

Is that you....Dad?

I think everyone starts as an unknown but its not a barrier its a hurdle, if the stuff is tight and funny it will work.
Just keep at it as you can only improve as you learn to crop out the guff and present a more compact and funnier podcast.

Quote: Michael Richards @ March 1 2013, 8:40 AM GMT

Wales Well mainly we are doing them for our own enjoyment - I doubt anyone who makes podcasts does it for any other reason to be honest (unless they are already famous of course). Most podcasts that are just "chatting about stuff" don't have a lot of structure to them - maybe it's something to think about. We do split ours into sections depending on what topics we talk about.

There are a few points we are aware of like the length of them - of course they are pretty long and I could understand no-one would have any desire to listen. Though we are thinking about shorter clips, like taking 5 to 10 minutes of each one and putting them seperately.

We've done a "special" about The Paranormal which was topic specific and we want to start doing more of them. Wales

If you're talking just for your own amusement then why bother bringing a mic into the mix, let alone posting on forums to promote the conversation you had. Clearly you're interested in an audience, and there's nothing wrong with that, the problem is that you're not giving that audience a reason to listen. It isn't so much that you're unknown quantities as it is the way you package yourself. I really can't think of a less appealing advertisement than 'two guys chat about stuff'. About what? Why would I give a damn?

I listen to a lot of podcasts (so many that I've practically given up on music) but even the ones that are ostensibly two guys chatting have a hook. They're people I'm interested in, or they're talking on a subject I like, or they have niche knowledge that teaches me something I don't already know. You can be two people I've never heard of and that's fine, just so long as you're giving me something new. You could tell me you were making a podcast about antique kettles and I'd show more interest than I would in this.