A list - for what it's worth...

http://scriptangel.wordpress.com/2013/01/17/production-companies-uk-accepting-unsolicited-scripts/

Happy hunting.

Cheers Lazzard

Red Planet were friendly during an email conversation last year. I was going to submit a script to them, but decided I wasn't happy with it yet, and didn't want to shoot my bolt with something that didn't still sit right with me.

They seemed welcoming enough though.

Always handy to add to 'favourites' Cheers Lazzard.

This one has had a few good opportunities in the past. http://writingcalendar.wordpress.com/

Quote: SimonWing @ January 17 2013, 3:31 PM GMT

Red Planet were friendly during an email conversation last year. I was going to submit a script to them, but decided I wasn't happy with it yet, and didn't want to shoot my bolt with something that didn't still sit right with me.

They seemed welcoming enough though.

Reading the instructions, don't you just have to submit ten pages first?

Since a ten page doc is hardly the finished product, unless you really think it dire or unbroadcastable, maybe you should just send it to them?

You can always send them something else if it turns out wrong for them.

Quote: Tim Azure @ January 17 2013, 8:18 PM GMT

Reading the instructions, don't you just have to submit ten pages first?

Since a ten page doc is hardly the finished product, unless you really think it dire or unbroadcastable, maybe you should just send it to them?

You can always send them something else if it turns out wrong for them.

I'd got a bit lost with it by then, tbh, as I'd been writing it on-and-off for well over one year. I actually have put it aside for 6 months (which ends soon), just so I can look at it freshly again.

Generally, unless you are at least 95% happy with it, I feel it's not worth risking a little bit of damage to your reputation in the eyes of the reader. Very few companies allow scripts to be submitted in this way, so each is an important potential avenue. Even if the second try is subsequently much better, you might already have set-off a sub-consious feeling of doubt in the reader. I guess you only get one chance to make a good first impression.

i think you're right.
Often the endgame with these unsolicited submissions is to become 'solicited'.
If you can get them to say "this isn't right for us at the moment, but we like your writing, let us know if you have anything else - here's my card" you have taken a massive leap forward.

Quote: Lazzard @ January 18 2013, 9:40 AM GMT

i think you're right.
Often the endgame with these unsolicited submissions is to become 'solicited'.
If you can get them to say "this isn't right for us at the moment, but we like your writing, let us know if you have anything else - here's my card" you have taken a massive leap forward.

Do you mean me?

Quote: Tim Azure @ January 18 2013, 2:36 PM GMT

Do you mean me?

Sort of yes and sort of no.

Yes to it being an ice-breaker.
No to it not mattering if it's a bit shite.

Does that make sense?
it's very cold here and I think I may be losing my faculties.

"this isn't right for us at the moment, but we like your writing, let us know if you have anything else - here's my card"

Apart from not being given a card, I have had a couple of these (prosey stuff for periodicals, rather than scripts).

I assumed it was just a gentle let-down, in the same way that companies claim that they will "keep your CV on file" after rejecting your job application.

What sort of thing might they say if they thought the writing was genuinely gash? "This is not quite right for us"?

Quote: SimonWing @ January 18 2013, 3:34 PM GMT

Apart from not being given a card, I have had a couple of these (prosey stuff for periodicals, rather than scripts).

I assumed it was just a gentle let-down, in the same way that companies claim that they will "keep your CV on file" after rejecting your job application.

What sort of thing might they say if they thought the writing was genuinely gash? "This is not quite right for us"?

They might ladle out a few platitudes but they don't usually leave the door open.
If they say they'd be happy to talk again, it usually means just that.
Life's too short to give the nut-jobs & no-hopers any encouragement.

cheers for this laz. I have now sent something away to one eyed dog. I just hope they don't think I'm some kind of nut-job, lol, nut-job! :D

Quote: Lazzard @ January 18 2013, 3:49 PM GMT

They might ladle out a few platitudes but they don't usually leave the door open.
If they say they'd be happy to talk again, it usually means just that.
Life's too short to give the nut-jobs & no-hopers any encouragement.

F**k!

10 years ago we sent a sketch show pilot in to Talkback.
A woman from Development wrote back saying they weren't doing sketch shows but she would be happy to see something else e.g. a sitcom.
We assumed it was just a polite knockback.
How naive.
Mind, we didn't have a sitcom then anyway.

Hi Lazzard,

Yes, the BBC writer's room is good. I tried my hand at writing a romantic comedy script for radio 4 (first script ever) learning how to set it out from the site. Never had tuition, but liked the thought of a professional person reading the first ten pages. Not sure if I really believed they would. It took me ten days to write-brimming with ideas...

I expected it back without comment, but ended up with a full critique and 'a rare invitation to submit more work'.

I'm not sure what that means, but your post gives me hope!

Of course, now I'm 'solicited', I don't have a plot in my head...

Might have to advertise for a writing partner... :$