Mouse 'flitting'

Sometimes when I come on here after the screen has gone 'dark' the mouse flits all over the screen before settling down. Does this mean there is a virus/bug in here? I have Norton and Virgin as virus detectors etc

It's haunted :D

Is it an optical ('laser') mouse? They can jump around if not on a completely plain, flat, untextured surface.

I thought this was going to be about a mouse moving house (flitting).

Quote: keewik @ September 22 2012, 11:44 PM BST

I thought this was going to be about a mouse moving house (flitting).

And they want independence . . . .

You may need a mousehold in your household.

Quote: Aaron @ September 22 2012, 9:58 PM BST

Is it an optical ('laser') mouse? They can jump around if not on a completely plain, flat, untextured surface.

I've found that an optical mouse on a really plain shiny black surface, such as plastic, doesn't work at all. It needs some fine texture to work.

But Bushbaby, your problem is far more likely to be a local problem with your mouse than due to a virus on this website. If it is optical, try cleaning the lenses with a fine brush like a watercolour painting brush.

If it is a roller ball take out the ball & remove any fluff & hairs.

Thanks. I cleaned it all and the pad and it works now.

Every time I see this thread I still visualise a lot of mice carrying furniture on their backs.

Quote: keewik @ September 29 2012, 8:29 PM BST

Every time I see this thread I still visualise a lot of mice carrying furniture on their backs.

Scampering without paying the rent.

Cool

Quote: billwill @ September 30 2012, 2:43 PM BST

Scampering without paying the rent.

Cool

That would be described as a moonlight flit, or, in coloquial terms - 'they did a moonlight'. (even if it's during the day)

A lot of times when I click on 'favourites/bookmark, the site behind the menu comes up, its not following the favourite I want. Is this the mouse or the PC that's knackered?
Also on Facebook, if I click on a PM it brings up my profile pic which is also behind the PM I want

It might be a cat. Sometimes you can get a cat in your computer that chases the mouse and that could be why its moving so much?

Just kidding. If its a laser mouse it might be a problem with the sensor. If you have a wireless mouse you may just need to change the batteries. If its a standard roller ball mouse, it might be a cat.