Is this true? Page 2

You're right there but I'm as guilty as the rest at times.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ September 19 2012, 9:42 PM BST

You're right there but I'm as guilty as the rest at times.

As am I. But as far as I can see the most successful people in comedy appear to be the ones who really love having a giggle. There are exceptions of course. F**king NOTABLE exceptions...

Yes I don't think The Blair Witch project is a good example to use.

The two people who made the film were both jobless, had an idea for a film then decided to put it into action. They applied for as many credit cards and loans as they could and maxed them out buying some decent cameras.

For the cast they put some ad's in a local paper and a few people (mainly students) replied. Actually one of the guys was a drug addict who is in the film and he fell down a hill during filming and broke one of the expensive cameras.

They literally just sent them into some woods and told them to film what was happening, they were told things would happen around them but not what. It was quite a real reaction from the "actors" in the film.

From the hours, hours and hours (Yes a lot of hours) of film they managed to edit it all and then release it themselves. Got to a few small film festivals and eventually got picked up by a big studio and released.

You probably know all of this info but I thought I would explain that at no point did a company get involved and offer them money for a script, so whoever wrote that first post you have quoted has not done their research.

so whoever wrote that first post you have quoted has not done their research.??

that's why the post is called "is this true?" and as I stated in my second post I think they were using the Blair witch as an example if to say, stay away from micro budget films because you will receive next to diddly swish.

Yeah.

Sorry I'm a bit tired this morning.

I don't make sense most of the time but especially with a Margaret Thatcher sleep.

Quote: Nigel Ball @ September 20 2012, 9:07 AM BST

stay away from micro budget films because you will receive next to diddly swish.

Except for a credit on a, hopefully, successful film that then gets you more and better paid work.
A writer entering the business to get rich will be sorely disappointed!

eh trust me mate. if I was offered to have something I had written made by a small company and the pay off wasn't that great I wouldn't say no :$. to have your name accredited to something is better than money at times.

to have my name accredited to something is more important than money just to get out there as a writer.

Quote: Nigel Ball @ September 20 2012, 10:02 AM BST

eh trust me mate. if I was offered to have something I had written made by a small company and the pay off wasn't that great I wouldn't say no :$. to have your name accredited to something is better than money at times.

to have my name accredited to something is more important than money just to get out there as a writer.

Too true.

Quote: Lazzard @ September 19 2012, 2:25 PM BST

Yeah.
Comes in, then leaves with 20%.

Once you get into contracts, you do need one IMHO.
Mine's certainly earnt his cut.

20% seems a lot, but absolutely when the deals are being done is when they come into their own!

I'd give 50% just to see my name in the credits!

Quote: Marc P @ September 20 2012, 10:08 AM BST

20% seems a lot, but absolutely when the deals are being done is when they come into their own!

I thought 20% was a bit steep as well. 10-15% is the norm, surely?

Varies on different media and don't call me Shirley! Can't remember on film, been a while since I had one optioned... but then then again been awhile since I wrote one lol.

Quote: Lee Henman @ September 20 2012, 10:36 AM BST

I thought 20% was a bit steep as well. 10-15% is the norm, surely?

There aren't that many 10% around - but your right there are lots at 15%.
I was very new at the game when I signed on - glad to get an agent, I guess.
Long term it's something I intend to look at - in the short term it's more about a good working relationship.

Quote: Marc P @ September 20 2012, 10:39 AM BST

Varies on different media and don't call me Shirley! Can't remember on film, been a while since I had one optioned... but then then again been awhile since I wrote one lol.

You need to write a sitcom set in the Lobster mate. Looks like a ready-made show.

Lol, nobody would believe it! There have been some very funny occurrences. My agent is 15% but varies on different markets overseas sales and etc but he keeps it at that I think which is cool.