How Important is Originality in Comedy? Page 3

When I was on Countdown, I chose nine consonants. Carole asked me why I didn't include any vowels and I said, 'Hw th hll shld knw.'

One for Jasmine:

"You should always be very mindful about using asian jokes in the right context. Ben Chod told me that."

That one'll either have them rolling in the aisles, or get your head cut off. Use very carefully.

Quote: Jasmine @ August 31 2012, 8:56 AM BST

"What, pray, might you be Googling?" I continued, trying to bond with him by speaking English in a manner that suggested I'd been here for a long time.

"That joke" he answered. "To see where you nicked it from."

What an absolute twat.

But to answer your question, I do tend to Google gags I write, especially one-liners, but I certainly don't let it worry me too much. As for originality, I don't think it's that important. Funny is funny. You can put any slant on it you want but at the end of the day you're still writing gags to make people laugh.

"What, pray, might you be Googling?" I continued, trying to bond with him by speaking English in a manner that suggested I'd been here for a long time.

"That joke" he answered. "To see where you nicked it from."

What an absolute twat,

I don't think it was a real story Lee. She was just making a point.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ August 31 2012, 5:36 PM BST

asian

Quote: Lee Henman @ August 31 2012, 9:54 PM BST

slant

Racists.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ August 31 2012, 11:07 AM BST

I think it's a good gag too

I'm sorry jasmine, I am American. Pronounciation jokes might be different for me. No disrespect meant :)

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ August 31 2012, 12:46 PM BST

I vote this the best Jihadi joke - I must be in a good mood because I laughed.

Thank you, dear...although, I only just noticed this, so you've probably stopped laughing by now and totally forgotten about the whole episode!

Quote: Marc P @ August 31 2012, 10:48 PM BST

I don't think it was a real story Lee. She was just making a point.

Oh I see.

Actually I don't see. Eh?

Thank you to all who contributed to this discussion.

The jokes were very funny and I have tested them on my friends.

They disagree about which is the funniest but they seem to agree it wasn't mine.

And they call themselves friends?

Quote: Jasmine @ August 31 2012, 8:56 AM BST

At university, I joined a surrealist Islamic group and at the initiation ceremony they made me drink a jihad of ale.

I don't get it.

Sounds like yard of ale

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ September 3 2012, 10:23 PM BST

Sounds like yard of ale

Oh - it didn't to me.

Quote: Marc P @ August 31 2012, 10:27 AM BST

SHe is punning the sound of the word Luke.. in the pronunciation - yard/jihad

'Give them a jihad and they take a mile?'

'Look what happen to Kawait.. '

'Then there was Henry the Eighth, tip of his nose to the end of his finger.. That ended in Jihad aswell..'

'Talking of burning Catholic's, did you know the pope killed more Catholic's than Mohamad, Religious leaders are like Comedy Critic's they tend to kill their own..

Then poor old Cat stevens.. he remembers the days of Old School Jihad. that was before we went metric

Now everything's metered, your water bill, electric and gas all arrive together,that's definitely 'going the last Jihad'.

bom bom.

I think this Jihad gag has wings

Perhaps you could expand on Duke Luke's observation Americans pronounce it 'GEE HARD'

" I'm not saying American Comedy Guides websites are boring, but have you ever seen a custard pie pushed in the face of humanity endlessly like a jack boot? Its a great idea, but the only one they have and it doesn't work in practice."

'Its not so much that Americans can't have original ideas its just that they enjoy invading everyone elses"

Admittedly it requires work

APS