Elephant in the Room

In discussing my performance, we need to talk about the elephant in the room.

Don't misunderstand me, people of palour. I'm not saying I bring my elephant into the room whenever I do a gig. Ha! Ha! That would indeed be wasteful and ridiculous excess, would it not? I shall answer my own question because it is rhetorical. Yes, it would.

What I am saying is that as soon as I take my comedic place behind the microphone, people are waiting for me to broach the subject of my ethnicity. The tension is palpable. And I should know. I’ve palped it not infrequently.

It doesn’t matter where I do a gig. It doesn’t matter who or what the audience may be. There is a tension, a barrier, a melanin curtain between me and the audience. There is a metaphorical elephant in the room. And it will not go away simply because we’re all pretending it isn’t there.

So you know what I do? I acknowledge the presence of the elephant. What I really want to say is “Elephant, get out of the way. You are impeding the comedy here!”. But I can’t say that because the elephant is a metaphor and it doesn’t understand English.

So you know what I do? Again rhetorical. Put your hands down, please.

I acknowledge my ethnicity. And everything is fine. The audience accepts me. They like me. They embrace me (but only figuratively, of course). I couldn’t let them embrace me physically as many of them are white and if that happened my parents would be obliged to murder me.

Oh, a few little squirms there. But a few laughs too. From the people who think I’m joking.

See? The elephant has gone away.

He’s eating a bun in the car park.

The comedy can begin.

Hmm a nEedlessly contentious thread after a rather mannered argument with a banned member dejavu hello is it you?

But otherwise I've seen plenty of asian comics and all manner of ethnicities and mostly its are you funny?

Comedy outside of the chubby browns is like that.

Quote: sootyj @ August 29 2012, 11:50 AM BST

dejavu hello is it you?

Explain, please?

A greeting for a saucy new poster

i don't see why any mention of your ethnicity is needed.

i make no reference to mine. I'm tired of 'ethinic minorities' constantly referring to their ethinicity. just be funny. I don't care where you are from or what colour your skin is.

i think it shows an insecurity that it needs to be referred to.

do something different and don't refer to it.

I think I understand your point, maybe it is you that believe there are 'barriers'? perhaps the audience do not expect 'ethnic explainations'?

Really, really bored with ethnic minority comedians doing the whole routine that goes. "Because I'm [nationality], everyone thinks [alleged prejudice]." Usually you're just thinking hmmm no we don't think that. And they lose your support because they've kind of put your back up.