I gave it a go for the first time...

Would love some feedback...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq-rITC7WhE

wow. was that your first time? you have great presence... :)

Hello Chanti
Just finishing watching

It was a really assured performance with a nice way of framing the set
and some good jokes in there, among a few things that did seem a bit familiar.
Such as the accent change used by a couple of comedians.

I think the one thing that I found very off putting was how extremely friendly the crowd were.
Was there any reason for this?
They were practically laughing at everything, which made it hard to work out where the actual jokes were at times.

Nice set overall though.
Really Good stuff.
Especially for a first go.

also this was clearly well-rehearsed. you can easily spot the difference between a well-rehearsed performance and one that wasn't.

wouldn't it be embarrassing for me if it turned out to be not well rehearsed...

As Steve has already mentioned, the audience were surprisingly friendly.

I'd go further and say they were incredibly friendly - and I use the word 'incredibly' in its literal sense. If they were each being paid £5 per laugh, they couldn't have laughed much more than they did.

It was as if they were watching their all-time favourite comedian but they weren't as this was allegedly this performer's first time on stage.

On the face of it, either the audience reaction is a set-up designed to enhance Chanti's YouTube video or the audience are simply the most easily-pleased bunch of comedy fans in the entire world.

I think the truth is likely to be a combination of the above inasmuch that the audience was largely if not entirely composed of Chanti's friends.

I say that partly because of their astonishingly positive response to the material and partly because Chanti's confidence is (again) incredible if that audience is a bunch of strangers.

I smell a rat.

Quote: Veronica Vestibule @ August 26 2012, 6:36 PM BST

I smell a rat.

Though to be fair, if the other vids are anything to go by, everyone seems to go down gangbuster's at the Kings Head

Perhaps they were laughing to 'curry' favour.

Looks from your comments on the YouTube page, you were being graded for Uni. Students I work with are graded similarly with others from their class in the audience waiting to have their turn. They all laugh at each other and encourage success.

I didn't watch it all, but what I saw was very sweet. If you're looking to follow the likes of Khorsandi, please don't. I can't watch anything she's in as she's just not funny. Keep at it...there is a lot of potential.

The snag is that with an audience that's oozing goodwill at a comedian, it's impossible to tell whether or not that comedian is actually any good at ALL.

Being a comedian is like golf in that respect - when everything's going right, it's by no means a difficult game.

But when it's all going mammaries to the Heavens, it's a different story altogether.

At another venue with a less-friendly crowd, Chanti might well have been torn to shreds.

If she wants to be a real comedian, she needs to play a real gig with a real audience.

And, in fairness to Shappi Korshandi, she might not be very funny but she's several light years ahead of Andi Osho - who's about as funny as woodworm in a wooden leg.

These days, if a girl wants to make it in UK TV stand up, it seems the very first thing she needs is a sun bed.

Well...it just goes to show how people's taste in comedy can differ, because I prefer Andi Osho to Shappi Khorsandi. I'm not a massive fan, but can watch Andi without cringing. Personal opinion and all that.

I think for grading purposes, this set was okay. When a proper crowd is being played to, the sweet young girl act won't be enough and all that shrugging and lapping up the laughter will be a very distant memory.

Saying that, my son did a set for a grading and told a self-written humourous story called 'Dave the Bogey', so who am I to judge? One of his mates nearly wet himself laughing and another friend who was filming it, couldn't shut up. It wasn't by any means perfect, but he got his grade, so phew.

Chanti did fine for grading purposes.

It was never my intention to suggest the girl lacks talent; I'm just saying a set performed before a tame (one might almost say 'fake') audience can show neither talent nor lack of it.

Faced with a genuine audience, she might do well or she might not.

I wish her well and I hope I haven't offended her.

The last thing I want is her brothers flying a 757 into my conservatory.

Quote: Veronica Vestibule @ August 26 2012, 10:15 PM BST

These days, if a girl wants to make it in UK TV stand up, it seems the very first thing she needs is a sun bed.

Yeah, damn that bronzed Sarah Millican!

I think it's really unfair to criticise someone's first stand-up routine on the grounds that the audience weren't hostile enough. Why shouldn't she choose a friendly audience for a first try?

It's a very confident and likeable, and I don't think that should be an invitation to faintly xenophobic attacks.

I just thought it was a bit offputting.
friendly audiences are great.
but that particular one didn't seem to know which bit's were supposed to be funny, and which bits were just words inbetween.
It sounded weird

Quote: Alakazam @ August 27 2012, 8:47 PM BST

I think it's really unfair to criticise someone's first stand-up routine on the grounds that the audience weren't hostile enough.

Nobody's criticised her routine, have they?

Why shouldn't she choose a friendly audience for a first try?

Nobody's suggested she was wrong to do that, have they?

It's very confident and likeable

I don't disagree.

I don't think that should be an invitation to faintly xenophobic attacks.

It's neither xenophobic nor aggressive to suggest that TV comedy has a policy of positive discrimination towards women from ethnic minorities.