How do you do it?

Is there anybody here that writes Comedy?

How on earth do you do it? I love making people laugh I have done since I was a little kid. I also love creative writing (although procrastination is my strong point Errr )

I think that writing drama and writing emotion is easier than writing comedy, it's simple to make a joke about something and make people laugh. But how on earth do you construct that onto paper and make something funny from it?

Does it come naturally to you or is it a challenge? Do you write alone or bounce off of somebody else?

This is an incredibly nosey post I know lol but I'm just interested in how you do it.

Thanks for reading everyone x

WeLl for starters don't type lol

But basically take eXpectation and twist it exagerate or creatw surprise

Eg yo momas so fast she does somerthong ridiculously exagerated

Is it just me, or do I smell fish, in a tongue-in-cheek stylee?

Quote: SweetieDarling @ August 14 2012, 5:56 PM BST

Is there anybody here that writes Comedy?

:D

I love making people laugh I have done since I was a little kid.

How on earth do you do it?

..it's simple to make a joke about something and make people laugh.

:D

Good start, Sweetie. ;)

Yes good point, the making people laugh bit is in place, :D

I've just noticed that this board has a critique bit. I may well put that to good use when I pluck up the courage!

Rewrites

Quote: Jinky @ August 14 2012, 8:47 PM BST

Rewrites

This for me Laughing out loud I rewrite my stuff many a time and edit it till it feels right.

Making more than one draft of a set piece allows you to sift out parts which may not be needed, too much waffling and things that might not work.

The fact that you love making people laugh is your best asset. Surprising how many comedy writers are actually miserable bastards.

The process of writing has been different every time for me. But basically it's a skill and the more you practice the better you'll get. Natural aptitude comes into it of course, like any other job. You get good plumbers and not-so-good plumbers.

So just write everyday, and use your desire to make people laugh.

Oh and it helps if you like to watch people. Not in a pervy sense, up a tree with binoculars, but watch what they do, what they say, how they say it, their mannerisms, what they're hiding etc. If you can read people easily I think you have a definite advantage when creating character on the page. I'm surprised more coppers don't become comedy writers :)

Quote: Lee Henman @ August 15 2012, 12:56 PM BST

The fact that you love making people laugh is your best asset. Surprising how many comedy writers are actually miserable bastards.

The process of writing has been different every time for me. But basically it's a skill and the more you practice the better you'll get. Natural aptitude comes into it of course, like any other job. You get good plumbers and not-so-good plumbers.

So just write everyday, and use your desire to make people laugh.

Oh and it helps if you like to watch people. Not in a pervy sense, up a tree with binoculars, but watch what they do, what they say, how they say it, their mannerisms, what they're hiding etc. If you can read people easily I think you have a definite advantage when creating character on the page. I'm surprised more coppers don't become comedy writers :)

Thanks everyone, fantastic advice!!

I have heard the quote 'writing is rewriting' before, and that is very true! I doubt anybody has ever got anything right on the first draft, plus it gives you freedom to be terrible at on your first try.

Thanks lee. That is great advice. I am a natural born observer of people (not in a creepy glaring at old people on the bus kind of way!) but knowing what makes people tick is something I have always picked up on naturally.

I don't suppose there is any proven method of writing comedy - it's an individual process I think. But when I watch shows like Fawlty Towers or Spaced, I do think about how it all began for them, it's very clever to be able to take ideas from your head and make it into a living breathing funny show like that!

(btw lee, there is something about your Avatar that is truly terrifying Huh? )

Thanks again for all this advice!!

Quote: SweetieDarling @ August 15 2012, 3:22 PM BST

(btw lee, there is something about your Avatar that is truly terrifying Huh? )

Hah, you should be terrified. It perfectly sums up the life of a comedy writer.

It's actually like a bloody big spider.

You just write, and you keep writing day after day until, a few years down the line, you're not completely hopeless at it. Easy!

Quote: Lee Henman @ August 15 2012, 12:56 PM BST

Surprising how many comedy writers are actually miserable bastards.

Griff.