Getting an agent.

Hi!

I've written a sitcom pilot which I think is pretty good, I know that sounds a little big headed but hey, if I don't have faith in my work, who else will right?

However, the problem is in getting someone at a production company to look at it. No one reads unsolicited scripts and I can understand why. The time required to read the huge amount of scripts sent in to the production companies would be huge but it begs the question: What is the point in a good script if no one will read it?

I know about the bbc writersroom and I definitely intend in sending the script there but like everone else, I'll have to wait for the next window to open in the autumn. Call me impatient (because I am) but there are only so many tomorrows, I want to get the ball rolling now.

My question is this... Does anyone out there have an agent and how did you go about getting one?

I've heard that most agents won't go near you unless you've already made headway with a production company and the product companies won't go near you if you a debut writer. It's a difficult situation to be in.

Any advice?... please? Console

Quote: Kinge @ August 2 2012, 9:46 PM BST

I've heard that most agents won't go near you unless you've already made headway with a production company and the product companies won't go near you if you a debut writer. It's a difficult situation to be in.

The first part of your sentence is pretty true - agents are only interested in people who are going places. However, you can get your work in front of production companies. There's not many open submission policies in practise nowadays, but you can sometimes work around this. Try and contact a particular person at the production company and - after praising their work - ask if they would mind reading a script you've written. It can pay off more often than you'd think.

The first and biggest question is it good enough?

Because actually getting it infront of a producer or agent isn't so hard.

But are you really sure it's good enough they'll get past page one?

I'd say go for something like the sitcom trials first.

Quote: sootyj @ August 2 2012, 10:34 PM BST

The first and biggest question is it good enough?

That's the biggest question to whether you'll get a producer or agent. But maybe a bigger question at the beginning is whether you want to keep submitting things.

Yes you'll be likely to be accepted by Sitcom Trials. But that's only one group-a different place-say a producer or agent will give you a different opinion.

I got an agent because a producer I was working with passed a script on for me (I didn't ask, they offered); I think that is the most common way for writers. Someone the agent knows passes someone on for them to consider. You can get scripts to producers without an agent, I managed it, you just have to ask and be polite and not give up.

If that isn't working, you have to start being creative; for example, put on a live show, or record something; find another way to try and get your work seen.

Also, do you need an agent right now? When I had my first script developed at a prod company, and pitched to channels, I didn't have an agent. If you work at it, like I said, you can get to producers without them. Agents aren't a golden ticket, even with one you'll be doing a lot of the work yourself, making contacts and sending stuff out.

Agents are all over the place. I've got a News one at the end of my road.

Agents only earn when you earn.
If they think that's imminent, they'll take you on.
If they think it not. they won't.
What they do love is a recommendations or some sort of attachment.
If someone who's opinion they respect gives it the thumbs up, they'll start to listen.

I managed to get a script in front of Nicholas Lyndhurst's agent.
He read it and liked it - got as far as a meeting.
It came to nothing.
But it meant I could talk to agents (I got some recommendations through old advertising colleaugues - always better to be able to say "so and so" gave me your name) with the rather flabby carrot of a 'name' attached to the script.
One of them took me on.

You have to mine your connections - six degrees off separation, remember.

Lazzard, who would be best to get a recommendation from, I recently had a script read by a script reader for baby cow productions and he liked the script would it be cheeky to ask him for a recommendation?

A script reader isn't going to cut a lot of mustard with an agent to be honest PR. If he/she liked it presumably it is up for discussion? If it progresses then some people who may be able to recommend who to write to, might be better.

Agreed.
if you can get one of the producers to give you a name that would be great.
He'll only do it if he thinks you won't make him look an arse, though.
Also ask the reader if there's anyone else you should be talking to.
Start an address book for these contacts you make - note down what they said, what you showed them, Who they pointed you towards.
A contact is like a tiny crack in the wall - you've got get in there an work at it.
It's a numbers game.

But you have to remember, asking someone to recommend you is a big deal - no-one wants to look like a schmuck.
So make sure the work's good - everyone likes being connected with good work.

Thanks for the advice guys

Wow, love this site. Really appreciate the comments, thanks for taking the time to post.

Quote: PurpleRonnie @ August 3 2012, 1:42 PM BST

Lazzard, who would be best to get a recommendation from, I recently had a script read by a script reader for baby cow productions and he liked the script would it be cheeky to ask him for a recommendation?

*creeps from evesdropping position* That's really cool. How did you manage to get the script reader to agree to read itt? Is it someone that a friend knows etc etc or was it just cold, hard terrorisation?

As has been said above, getting an agent isn't easy unless they see you as a source of income, so a recommendation from a producer is often the way in. But even that can backfire, I was recommended to an agent and after a conversation with them I decided I didn't want to go with them, for various reasons. I felt awful, like I'd dropped the guy who'd recommended me in the shit, but at the end of the day if you're going to have an agent you have to take one who you believe will be a right fit. When you get a meeting, remember on one level you're interviewing them for a job. You pay their wages and they have to convince you that they're the right person for the job.

Maybe this is why I currently don't have an agent Errr