Is it wise to have a drink before your first gig?

So I'm quite a charismatic, energetic chap when you get to know me.

Trouble is, when you don't me, I'm quite shy and reserved as it takes me time to evaluate what someone is like before coming out of my shell.

I usually bypass this shyness by having a drink (or twenty) which supresses my overbearing ego and allows me to relax and be less inhibited.

So my question is, seeing as meeting new people usually scares the bejeesus out of me if in a sober state, can you imagine what I will be like on stage in front of a crowd of strangers all expecting me to make them laugh?

I was thinking of a couple of bottles of those mini spirits. Not enough to get me trashed but just enough to help me relax. What do you think?

Push the envelope: get absolutely paralytic and do your first gig at your local Women's Institute.

Quote: nickname @ August 6 2012, 11:10 PM BST

can you imagine what I will be like on stage in front of a crowd of strangers all expecting me to make them laugh?

It's an open-mic night, the last they'll be expecting is that you will make them laugh. They will be happy to seize on anything slightly amusing to keep you and them going.

It's always wise to have a drink full stop.

No idea about stand-up but when I fronted punk bands I was always pissed to one degree or another.

And when I played cricket regularly I found that if I had four pints before the match I would always take plenty of wickets (including a haul of six for one once). Any more or any less and I would be lucky to pick up one or two. Pints and wickets, respectively, that is.

Therefore, my advice is to drink four pints before doing your gig.

If nothing else, you should take a few wickets.

I never drink before screws with memory and timing

But better comics than me go on halfcut

Quote: Badge @ August 6 2012, 11:17 PM BST

It's an open-mic night, the last they'll be expecting is that you will make them laugh. They will be happy to seize on anything slightly amusing to keep you and them going.

lol.

I wasn't joking.

Quote: Badge @ August 7 2012, 12:02 AM BST

I wasn't joking.

it amused me nonetheless...

Quote: Ignatius Rake @ August 6 2012, 11:19 PM BST

It's always wise to have a drink full stop.

No idea about stand-up but when I fronted punk bands I was always pissed to one degree or another.

And when I played cricket regularly I found that if I had four pints before the match I would always take plenty of wickets (including a haul of six for one once). Any more or any less and I would be lucky to pick up one or two. Pints and wickets, respectively, that is.

Therefore, my advice is to drink four pints before doing your gig.

If nothing else, you should take a few wickets.

wow. I can't imagine ever having a drink before doing something physical like that? I'd be so dehydrated.

i do remember one time visiting a girl friend after drinking a bottle of wine. she was just about to go for a jog and I decided it would be a good idea to join her - inebriated and in a pair of jeans.

i did sober up pretty quickly though, I have to say...

Personally, I never drink alcohol before going on stage as it dulls my senses and slows my reaction time.

When you are on stage you need your wits about you, not only are you trying to remember your material and deliver it in an optimal manner but you have to be aware of what is happening in the room, you need to be able to react quickly to any heckle or distraction.

The danger of having one drink to "take the edge off" is that it leads to a second or third.

I know a comic who got drunk and came off stage wondering why his usually bulletproof routine had stopped getting laughs about half way through, it was then pointed out to him that his routine got a big laugh the first time, a decent laugh the second time but by the third time he'd repeated exactly the same joke it was wearing a bit thin.

ok point taken. I figured a drink might take the edge off the fear but perhaps this fear is a good thing.

use it to my advantage if you know what I mean. either it gets the better of me and I fold or I overcome it and put on a great performance...