Help please

Anybody have any ideas on how to introduce.yourself and how you should open the joking in stand up. I can't start off

Anything that's likely to get a laugh.

Not really Steve
It's mostly a warm joke, that puts the audience at ease and lets the audience know you're a square guy.

Like fat comic
(move mike stand to one side)
" can you see me now"

nervy Brigitte Jones female comic
"does my bum look on this stage?"

School age standup
"Are you lot also in detention?"

Some comic I saw/read/heard interviewed somewhere reckoned that if you get a laugh in your first minute the rest of the gig will be shit. Any truth in this or did I dream it?

I think it is the other way round.

What? He dreamt I read the interview?

How bizarre.

Say a quick hello and crack on with your second best joke.

Should the best joke be put into the middle or should it be the last?

Middle

The final joke for me should pull everyrhing together

Have to disagree with Sooty there - I'd save your best joke until last. If it also ties the show together (with a callback for instance) then great, but I wouldn't say that's essential.

Ok thanks. Ive only just started so I need to work out orders. I basically need to get more gigs at parties is that a good idea?

Annoyingly everyone tells me that my opener is absolutely brilliant, meaning I have struggled to stop the rest of my set tailing off into nothing.

I think it's very important to start with a big laugh as it gets everyone on their way. Obvs you don't HAVE to, it might work better for you doing it differently but it's what I've found.

Best joke last I think, or if you do your best joke earlier maybe end on a callback to it?

Quote: Andrew Rowland @ July 15 2012, 11:52 PM BST

Anybody have any ideas on how to introduce.yourself and how you should open the joking in stand up. I can't start off

The compere should've introduced you, so you can hit the ground running, hit them with a funny line.

Make the audience laugh in the first few seconds and you've won a major battle in the comedy war, the audience are laughing and they like you, it's like a comedy D-Day, you've made it to the beach, now hit them with some more gags as you scale the gun emplacement and by the time you explode your last laughter bomb you'll be in Berlin before Christmas.