BBC Writers' Room Page 2

I have two questions about the submission process. I am in the final stages of writing a two-part drama. It certainly ain't a comedy, but I can't think of anywhere else to post the question as their own 'contact us' link results in a 404.

So:

1. The webpage states "You should send a full single play..." - I'm guessing they wouldn't be impressed if a two-parter lands in their inbox? And does that mean sending the first part of a two-parter wouldn't be appropriate? After all, there is no completion of the arc of the storyline, nor character development.

2. The website also states "We only accept full scripts or episodes from writers in the UK". My co-writer is from North America. Does that also relegate our script to the waste bin?

Never mind, I have just received an email reply for these questions. Should anyone be interested:

You should only send in one episode - but also, two-parters in the Afternoon Play slot are extremely unusual and it might be worth reconsidering whether it would be possible/better to submit this as a single drama for the slot. You are fine to co-write so long as one of you lives in the UK and is the point of contact for the submission.

Interesting. They obviously don't listen to what is commissioned for R4 as in the past three months there have been multiple mutiple pieces. Some running on succesive days. Some running weekly. The single stand alone afternoon play has been a rare beast this year.

What's a good format for a cover sheet for a comedy drama series? Is one page the limit? Should it entail one paragraph of premise, and two or three episode outlines? Or is a list of 'funny situations' better?

When I spoke to Stuart Murphy (Director of programmes at Sky) he said to me write it in the style of the humour you're using for the cover sheet, then just go through how the show and characters would progress throughout the series.

Did it work JoshBa?

First sitcom script goes into the post tomorrow. It's been finished a few weeks, waiting for the window to open. Going to work on a couple of further episodes, just in case there's any mileage in it, and to improve my writing. After that, I'm going to have a go at another submission for the second window. Hopefully, by then, I'll have received some feedback and will be able to use it to improve the standard of my second submission. Failing that, it's back to tapdancing.

:)

A while ago I sent a script to the Writers Room and got a letter back basically saying I should strengthen the main character. The footnote said 'Writer shows promise'

Is this a standard response?

You'd imagine not... I'm very happy for you. Sick

Quote: Gary Owen @ April 26 2012, 6:56 PM BST

A while ago I sent a script to the Writers Room and got a letter back basically saying I should strengthen the main character. The footnote said 'Writer shows promise'

I wouldn't think so but is that all they said? Have they asked for any more?

Quote: Chappers @ April 26 2012, 11:53 PM BST

I wouldn't think so but is that all they said? Have they asked for any more?

I think they want people to use their own intuitive... Better off sending it somewhere else.

Quote: Gary Owen @ April 26 2012, 6:56 PM BST

Don't know but I'd imagine they put little footnotes on scripts they see some merit in, and nothing on those they don't. Unfortunately even if you do now strengthen your main character just the way they'd like, you cannot send it in again. Yeah, that's WR!

Or, if they really liked it that much then they'd have invited you in for a chat and asked for a rewrite. You show promise, but alas, they have a few more showing more promise, but when you have the pick all wannabe TV writers from Britain and beyond, yes, the yanks are exploiting WR, waddya expect? then the standard you have to achieve is extremely high on all aspects. I bet loads of potentially good sitcoms get sent back.