Writing comedy script.

Anyone else writing scripts?. I am finding it is hard to gauge whether is it any good when it is just me reading it back from a computer screen.

I tend to write darker comedy material, not sure it would ever be broadcast , until Frankie Boyle, League of Gentleman appeared, showing their is a hungry market for it.

Pop a wee few scenes in 'critique'

I for one 'll have a little look.

Thanks, I will, didn't know about critiques.

We HAVE to write scripts. The wonder of screen studies courses.

I wrote a script last semester that I think was summed up pretty accurately by a comparison to Psychoville... it was dark and very quirky.

My tutor didn't seem to "get" that style of comedy though.

I had a dark, sinister character who had been institutionalised and, due to having her arms bound by a straight jacket, paints horrific paintings with a paintbrush in her mouth.

His comment? "They don't use straight jackets anymore."

Made me laugh.

Quote: Brett Barnett @ March 15 2012, 8:15 PM GMT

We HAVE to write scripts. The wonder of screen studies courses.

I wrote a script last semester that I think was summed up pretty accurately by a comparison to Psychoville... it was dark and very quirky.

My tutor didn't seem to "get" that style of comedy though.

I had a dark, sinister character who had been institutionalised and, due to having her arms bound by a straight jacket, paints horrific paintings with a paintbrush in her mouth.

His comment? "They don't use straight jackets anymore."

Made me laugh.

But do they?

Quote: Marc P @ March 15 2012, 10:12 PM GMT

But do they?

A mad person may still have a straight jacket. You're probably thinking of a straitjacket though.

Quote: Marc P @ March 15 2012, 10:12 PM GMT

But do they?

No gone years ago, there are some mechanical restraints used for certan behaviours. But are more likely to be restraint beds or velcro blankets.

But this is very rare. For penal style regimes they's more likely to go with tazer belts or caged beds.

But ou know not in this country.

Use of a straight jacket would only really work in a historical or fantastical setting,

Quote: sootyj @ March 16 2012, 4:29 PM GMT

No gone years ago, there are some mechanical restraints used for certan behaviours. But are more likely to be restraint beds or velcro blankets.

But this is very rare. For penal style regimes they's more likely to go with tazer belts or caged beds.

Use of a straight jacket would only really work in a historical or fantastical setting.

How did I just tell you it was spelt???

Restraing the mentally ill with a stone age grain? You must run a heck of an hospital.

Quote: sootyj @ March 16 2012, 5:33 PM GMT

Restraing the mentally ill with a stone age grain? You must run a heck of an hospital.

I can't help how it should be spelt, but apparently straight jacket is used by "people who aren't writers".

;)

Quote: sootyj @ March 16 2012, 4:29 PM GMT

Use of a straight jacket would only really work in a historical or fantastical setting,

Interesting. Good to know about these things, I had an English judge bashing a gavel once which apparently they don't do in this country unless in a euphemism.

Wow, quite a debate! I still think it's moot - if you're portraying a slightly zany, unrealistic view of the world, the use of a ______jacket is probably the least significant break from reality.

Yup if it's zany it's almost a cliche.

But if you're going for atall realistic it's a miss.

Didn't they have one in Psychoville?

By the way - what's a Semester? Do you mean term?

Yes they also had a patient turned into a human burglar alarm with electricity.