Setting Needed!

I've created the characters for a sitcom but I'm struggling to find the right setting, the original idea was about security guards but that was scrapped due to caroline aherne's new comedy. I need a setting for these characters to be involved in - I was thinking a flatshare sitcom but it seems too predictable was also thinking a hotel or holiday resort but with fawlty towersm, hi de hi and benidorm I don't think it will work? I NEED HELP!!!

Quote: PurpleRonnie @ January 18 2012, 1:15 AM GMT

I want the sitcom to have a family feel to it with Dave being the father figure to Lee and Brad who are always squabbling about something or other...

Why don't you make Dave actually be the father of Lee and Brad?

They could be:

Cleaners
Shelf stackers in a supermarket
In a band
working some sort of job....maybe on a nightshift
Maybe they all have different jobs but always go to the same place for their lunch break
students who study the same thing?
A group of activists who met over the internet to "make the world a better place".
All homeless people who are in emergency housing (I.E. a bed & breakfast, etc)
Mini-cab drivers?
Maybe they all work in a takeaway pizza place?

International assassins.

Not sure you are thinking about this right. Coming up with characters is relatively easy, the tricky bit is coming up with a setting that enables them to interact, keeps them there, and acts as the engine in generating stories. Plopping your characters down in a shop or an office if you are not genuinely interested in the possibilities of that setting is probably not going to work.

Timbo - I've written a script based around security guards but that idea is now being done by itv but my script can be adapted because the dialogue is more about their relationship more than the setting but it seems every setting I chose always makes my sitcom resemble others.

Bob - I liked the idea of the homeless in emergency housing and was planning on that but it became to similar to Heartburn Hotel :(

They're all on this base at the bottom of the sea. Like Stingray,but at the bottom of the sea.

It's also the future.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 18 2012, 3:15 PM GMT

They're all on this base at the bottom of the sea. Like Stingray,but at the bottom of the sea.

It's also the future.

THE FUTURE OF COMEDY!

If the choice of setting is that arbitrary then it should not matter that it is being used elsewhere, as the scripts won't bear any resemblance. At least it shouldn't matter, but you never know with suits, who can be pretty arbitrary themselves. Anyway if it ever gets made, the ITV sitcom will doubtless long since have been forgotten.

Or try setting it Stott's mum's womb.

Quote: Timbo @ January 18 2012, 3:38 PM GMT

Or try setting it Stott's mum's womb.

It's been done... many, many times.

Hey Stott where's your neighbours pet rabbits?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 18 2012, 3:15 PM GMT

It's also the future.

That excuse may fool me, it won't fool the RSPCA.

Quote: PurpleRonnie @ January 18 2012, 1:15 AM GMT

I need a setting for these four characters to be involved in

This is something I talk about in my new book.

"If you're struggling to find a sitcom setting, go to the Amazon book section and search for an A-Z of jobs. Click on 'look inside'. Once there click on the 'surprise me' option. Keep doing this until you find a job/industry that hasn't been used in a sitcom before."

Quote: don rushmore @ January 18 2012, 4:40 PM GMT

This is something I talk about in my new book.

I'll try this now see what comes up :)

morticians? I do quite like the concept of a mega camp gay guy and a ditzy blonde bitching about dead bodies. canned laughter and all

How about 3 shops in a row. Dad working in the middle with his two sons working either side set in a shopping mall or something