Soap Opera Style Sitcom - Is it a good idea?

Is a sitcom with a soap opera style a good idea - ie set in a village/town and featuring it's residents and places such as the pub/chippy/shop/police station or is it best to work on one location/subject?

Anything can be a good idea or a bad idea. It all depends on how good/funny the end result is.

You might want to reply to posts in other threads that you have started or the feedback may dry up.....:)

Quote: PurpleRonnie @ January 18 2012, 12:43 PM GMT

Is a sitcom with a soap opera style a good idea - ie set in a village/town and featuring it's residents and places such as the pub/chippy/shop/police station or is it best to work on one location/subject?

3 sets (aka the 'Wimbledon') should be your maximum. Forget location work - it's too expensive.

I agree with Bob Hicks (odd sentence) I love How I met Your Mother but when you break it down its one loved up couple, some on off relationships and a womanizer - all pretty cliche in the sitcom world but its well written so thinkthat's the most important thing

Quote: blahblah @ January 18 2012, 5:27 PM GMT

I agree with Bob Hicks

I agree with Bob Hicks too. He sounds like quite the comedy expert.

Quote: Bob Hicks @ January 18 2012, 1:57 PM GMT

Anything can be a good idea or a bad idea. It all depends on how good/funny the end result is.

Harry Hill tried it with a pilot but it didn't get picked up.

Quote: PurpleRonnie @ January 18 2012, 12:43 PM GMT

Is a sitcom with a soap opera style a good idea - ie set in a village/town and featuring it's residents and places such as the pub/chippy/shop/police station ...?

I'm not sure what you mean exactly? "Village/town/residents/pub/chippy/shop..." - just sounds like any sitcom. Nothing wrong with any of it. What do you meant by the one location/subject bit?

The one location thing what I mean is OFAH the main location is the flat same in Men Behaving Badly and sometimes the odd scene in the pub - by soap opera stlye I mean something like EastEnders (BUT FUNNY) with about 15 to 20 characters such as a family/pub landlord/local nutter that sort of thing all living in the same village/town/street but aren't connected to each other.

I think it could be fine. You could go two ways - either make it a light-hearted soap/ comedy-drama or make it a full out parody of the soap genre.

Quote: PurpleRonnie @ January 19 2012, 9:31 AM GMT

by soap opera stlye I mean something like EastEnders (BUT FUNNY) with about 15 to 20 characters such as a family/pub landlord/local nutter that sort of thing all living in the same village/town/street but aren't connected to each other.

You could call it Coronation Street.

League of gentlemen had loads of settings around a town in all the typical shops you'd find in it.. I'm not suggesting I see LOG as a soap opera sitcom but I guess it shows it's possible you could have multiple settings around a town maybe.