Why do people believe in God(s)? Page 10

Good point Chip, all human experience is based on contrast.

How would you appreciate a glass of water if you'd never been thirsty.

A meticulous clock work, logical word would be both terrufying and utterly defeating.

Good point Chip, all human experience is based on contrast.

How would you appreciate a glass of water if you'd never been thirsty.

A meticulous clock work, logical word would be both terrufying and utterly defeating.

Quote: chipolata @ January 13 2012, 2:39 PM GMT

This is a ridiculously adolescent view

I only wish I was half the man you are Chip, you lovely great tool, you.

Quote: sootyj @ January 13 2012, 2:38 PM GMT

Perhaps the universe is in existence exeunt as it is. But if you change yourself rather than hopelessly trying to change what is predetermined, the whole universe readjusts its self around you.

It still comes down to Him knowing everything, so you can't change yourself to anything different than he has prior knowledge of.

Except again in a none linear view he knows the future but the future it's can change. Because the future is happening at the same time as the past.

It's going to be very sad when I die, the entire universe will explode. (Perceptually speaking)

Quote: sootyj @ January 13 2012, 2:35 PM GMT

Mohammed was the prophet Allah was the deity.

Tsk don't people know anything these days.

My interest in the world of men is spurious at best.

Quote: youngian @ January 13 2012, 12:56 PM GMT

You beleive in karma and be an atheist, it's Probability theory

My head spins when I think about spirituality. Karma? I know some people who never get paybacks. They run wild. I wonder if that is their karma to never learn? I'm so many things. I have had a Christian upbringing. I enoy Buddhist ideals. Pagan dieties. As a kid I loved monster movies. Religion is a carryover of that . I like BIG tales and devils+angels.

Quote: zooo @ January 13 2012, 12:53 PM GMT

I liked some of the hymns. Although some were just songs (That the ink is black, the page is white one was ace.)
I actually used to sing along then too, now I would just mime the words, or look at the floor and shuffle my feet.

I remember that song! I still rate that 'cauliflowers fluffy' song as one of the all time greats :)

Only hymn I can remember from school is Kumbaya. And that's not even a hymn. I like it, though.

Quote: chipolata @ January 14 2012, 1:07 PM GMT

Kumbaya.

That's Ellie's chat up line right there. There's also a lot of pointing.

Quote: Lee @ January 6 2012, 3:18 PM GMT

An easy lighthearted topic of discussion for a Friday afternoon.

Let's not get bogged down in whether or not a God exists. I'd also like to keep it genuinely lighthearted because I know there may be people who have turned to religion after different traumas and there's not much fun to poke at that.

It's hard not to bring up the existence/non-existence of God in a topic like this but what I'm really wanting to discuss is why a person would choose to spend precious moments of their life devoting themselves to something based of faith alone? I do realize I've answered my own question there, when using the word faith.

But what gives them/you faith? "Believe in God and you'll get to go to heaven" "Don't believe in him and you'll go to hell". Who believes in hell but not God or heaven? Anyway...

Why can't people be kind and decent for their own sake, instead of the idea that they will be rewarded in an afterlife? Apart from a promise of this and the creation of everything (which only happened at the start), what other ways does a religion impact a persons life? Is it the belief in miracles? A divine intervention? Why not have devil-worshiping fun before you die?

I was raised Christian. Not religiously though (boom-tish). When I was pre-10 years old I believed in God. But then after that I thought about it outside of boring church or boring hymns or boring R.E lessons. The further I thought, the more I realised I didn't need a God, I had science. Lovely, lovely science. Can science be considered a religion? I put my faith into the Doctors when I take a drug. I haven't researched the drug myself, much in the same way I haven't researched the bible when I question a religious person about it. But it's all faith in the mighty science!

There's another factor, I live a pretty cushty life. If I had lived in a third world country, didn't have as much exciting exposure to science, would I look to religion to pure my faith into? The real me, not the hypothetical third world one would think "Why Would A God Put me/anyone In A Third World Country?" but I wonder if the hypothetical me would think the same?

:O

Just looked up from the keyboard. Got a bit carried away with my thoughts.

Discuss people, before I start looking like some crazy God-spouting homeless guy!

Because, largely, people need to be part of a 'gang'.

Or tribe?

No...'gang'

I expect that you have all heard about the dyslexic agnostic.

He used to wander around wondering "Is there a Dog"

Quote: billwill @ February 1 2012, 4:32 PM GMT

I expect that you have all heard about the dyslexic agnostic.

He used to wander around wondering "Is there a Dog"

I've not stopped believeing in the existence of billwill.