Best place in London for Raw comedy

Hi all.

Bit of a random question, but Im thinking of spending a few weeks down in the Smoke soon as I want to get some regular experience rather than the odds and ends of performances that are avialble up north.
Could anyone recommend an area of London which is steeped in comedy providence? ie, lots of pubs and clubs in a dense area which are specifically catered towards live performance and comedy open night?

Any advice, however insignificant you may think it, would be wholly welcomed.

Ta
Paul

London is a dense area. Get a list of pubs and clubs and call them to find out when their nights are and how long their waiting list is- the pubs particularly change their nights around so best to contact them direct. Make sure you get an oyster card!

Geographucally its spread all over.

But hey we have our world famous public transport so as long as you're near a tube line and in zones 2-4 you'll be fine.

If you're coming down why not book some gigs? Comedy Bin and others are a good source of easy gigs.

Quote: sootyj @ December 31 2011, 1:26 PM GMT

Geographucally its spread all over.

We don't live in a multi-dimensional cube folded in and over itself? :O
Must just be my area then.

Meant, as you said, that it wouldn't be beneficial to choose one area since there's a reasonably consistent amount of pubs that have comedy nights in all the areas that are all easily accessible from each other.
Although away from directly central the Holloway, Highbury, Angel route seems to be plentiful. Then there's K-town, Camden, Euston route; perhaps look into any spots available for Camden Comedy Crawl?

Did you just call Kings Cross, K Town?

Hiyuck hiyuck

that'll amuse me for most of 2012. Angel does seem to have a lot of comedy places...

Wish I had meant that now, but no, was referring to Kentish.

When you're in a 6 foot hole stop digging.

nb Paul when and where are you planning on coming to London?

I'd reccomend checking out News Revue, Canal Cafe and LCW.

I didn't realise I was in a 6 foot hole. Darn multi-dimensional cube.

Quote: AJGO @ December 31 2011, 5:42 PM GMT

Wish I had meant that now, but no, was referring to Kentish.

Ahhhhh, of course! I was wondering, but forgot to ask.

Yeah, sorry, silly shorthand of my mind that forget others aren't privy to!

So what you're saying is, London has many golden opportunities spread out across its fetid hundred square miles or whatver statistic it is.
Fair point. I lived there once (Uxbridge) for a year, so have less than fond memories of the miseries of the London Underground haha.

I shall take on board the advice chaps, appreciated.

Paul

I guess the Northern Line is the best to be on.

Islington, Camden, Kingscross etc

but are you looking for new comedy or what?

Im actually considering the possibility of moving down there with a job opportunity and as its the best place to get regular comedy open night slots, for practice practice and experience.
And more experience and a bit more practice. Like, 3 or 4 times a week.
I'm considering where would be the best move, geographically, in London, for me to realise that possibility. Hypothetically speaking, coz its a bigggggg decision, so just doing early research.

Thanks for the advice so far anyway Sooty and others.

Paul